The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I’m new to the Goat Spot and have so many questions! Mainly about minerals.

For starters, is Manna Pro Mineral good enough or should I be using something else? (I have NDs btw) I’ve hear you all mention Wind and Rain and Sweetlix Meat Maker (-which unfortunately I can’t get Sweetlix in my area). So, should I be using those instead?

Secondly, I was wondering about copper. A year and a half ago a gave a copper bolus to my goats, but... then I was told by friend not to give copper so I stopped. Lately, though, I have hear you SHOULD give it every 6 months to a year, but our goats don’t really show any deficiency. So should, showing no signs of deficiency, should I give them some?

Anyway, sorry for so many questions and I really appreciate any feedback!

Reactions: FizzyGoats

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
Welcome to the goat spot. Mineral will depend on your need per your area. I would talk to area goat farms to see what they use. A quality loose mineral is important.
Copper pretty much the same answer..depends on your need. Some don't need added copper while other have to have it every 3 months. There are copper antagonist we watch for like high iron, Sulphur or calcium in your well water could cause copper deficiency. But if they don't look like they need added copper I would not give it. Some like to give a little to help combat Barber Pole worm. Sorry there is not a cut snd dry answer. But definitely look at your herd for signs if copper deficiency and decide what your goats needs are.

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the goat spot. Mineral will depend on your need per your area. I would talk to area goat farms to see what they use. A quality loose mineral is important.
Copper pretty much the same answer..depends on your need. Some don't need added copper while other have to have it every 3 months. There are copper antagonist we watch for like high iron, Sulphur or calcium in your well water could cause copper deficiency. But if they don't look like they need added copper I would not give it. Some like to give a little to help combat Barber Pole worm. Sorry there is not a cut snd dry answer. But definitely look at your herd for signs if copper deficiency and decide what your goats needs are.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback! I will definitely ask around and see what’s best to use in my area/ for our goats! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
A few outward indicators of copper need are the fading of color, like black turning red, brown turns pale, dry flaky skin, dull coarse hair, hair tips hook (looks like singed almost) fish tail where tail tip look like a wet paint brush that you shook. Tail bone tip often exposed. These are just a few obvious signs. Other things to notice may be unexplained weight loss, infertility, low milk production, scours...

·
Registered
*Gotta love ‘em kids!*
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few outward indicators of copper need are the fading of color, like black turning red, brown turns pale, dry flaky skin, dull coarse hair, hair tips hook (looks like singed almost) fish tail where tail tip look like a wet paint brush that you shook. Tail bone tip often exposed. These are just a few obvious signs. Other things to notice may be unexplained weight loss, infertility, low milk production, scours...
If I do end up needing to give copper,can copper bolus’ be give to pregnant goats?

Reactions: happybleats

·
Super Moderator
32,290 Posts
yes. I agree..its safe for pregnant goats

Reactions: Goatastic43
1 - 10 of 10 Posts