Mineral blends

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by bayhorsebillygoat, Jun 10, 2015.

1. bayhorsebillygoat

bayhorsebillygoat New Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Any suggestions as to which one is better? The Cargill Right Now Onyx blend or the Hoeggers Golden Blend? I have read something possibly about the Hoeggers blend not having chelated copper and that being a problem. Also will we still have to supplement with Selenium in addition to one of these blends? Our goats are Alpine males, going to use them for pack goats and they will be neutered. Or is there a different mineral blend entirely that I should be looking into? Thanks! I am just new to this so all information and help is greatly appreciated!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I like the Right Now Onyx.

3. gonegoaty

gonegoaty New Member

May 15, 2015
    Where do most people find Right Now Onyx?

4. ksalvagno

Feed store. My feed store has to order it so I have to call ahead of time.

5. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

May I ask why you like it? I'm looking for the plusses from the viewpoint of an experienced goat person.

Our feed store just started carrying it. We stopped and bought a bag today to give to Gerry's oxen. I took a handful over to my goats and they went bonkers over it (been giving them Manna Pro free choice).

The analysis on the brochure looked good to me, but I'm not experienced enough yet to trust myself. So if you could give me the lowdown on why it is good, I would be extremely grateful.

By the way, Gerry's oxen really seemed to like it as well.:yum:

6. ksalvagno

My goats look good. They also like it. If they look good on the outside then their insides are probably doing well too.

7. mariarose

mariarose Well-Known Member

LOL! So I'm overthinking it again...

8. This really won't be too helpful for you in KY, I fear, but perhaps others in Texas might benefit. For a couple of months I've been feeding a particular variety of Purina Wind & Rain "Storm 7.5" -- from what I gather it's formulated particularly for Texas and not marketed elsewhere (which IMO is crazy as it's really good!). My goats went into this test with a significant mineral deficiency and are currently looking better than they ever have! Silky, shiny coats, rust-colored hair is being replaced by black on my black-roan buck, fish tales are resolving. In all fairness, I did have to double up on the buck for a month, both bolusing him and feeding the 7.5. Obviously he needed it! All in all I'm extremely satisfied with this product.