Mineral block feeder

Discussion in 'Barnyard Bananza' started by ArcticGoats, Jul 12, 2008.

1. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Anyone have any brilliant ideas for a mineral block feeder? I want to get mine up off the floor so they don't soil it...

Also, related question - do most of you find loose minerals better than a block? Our feed store only had a huge 33 lb block for goats - so I got it and cut off a chunk (i only have 4 goats, and put it in a plastic nut jar hung on the wall) - but would be interested to hear what others do!

Thanks!

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    i dont keep the huge blocks, they get pooped on. but i use the smaller blocks that fit in the hanging holders. so if you cut off a chunk and stick it in a holder. that would work. i also feed free choice baking soda and sweetlix. to make sure they get everything they need.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    You can get a bucket, tie it to the fence and put the block on top of it. Or flip a small rubber water trough upside down and set it on top, works great for us. Orrrrr, you could simply just put it in a little rubber bucket...hope that helps!! :thumb:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't use the big blocks but my mom has and I've seen her use a long masonry type drill bit to bore a hole in the center then used nylon twine to hang it from a fence post...nylon because the salt rusts wire and the sisal twine rots thru too fast.

5. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Excellent - I like the 'dope on a rope' idea - simple and cheap! Thanks!

6. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    i buy goat protein pails from TSC and wire them to my fence
    no worries mate ;)
    if there is goat berries i just tip it over

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This works even better and will last longer if you can hang it under cover so it doesn't get wet....keeps it off the ground and the goats can access it freely...just don't put it up so high that they feel the need to stand up on it to access it. :greengrin:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i got my mineral feeder plans from these people. i feed loose mineral as they dont seem to waste as much. with the blocks i was finding pieces all over they had bitten off and spat out. and i dont think its good for their teeth with they bite the blocks.
    http://www.freewebs.com/cottoneyeddoes/ ... ctures.htm
    its the fourth and fifth pictures down
    beth

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with sparks879

We also feed loose salt and minerals,, we feel with the blocks it doesn't give as much
    of the vitamins ect they need. When we started our goats on the loose salt and minerals we found.... some would lick and lick ,,we had to keep refilling the salt . After a day or so they didn't need as much and we don't need to constantly fill the box,,,,,,,,,that is why I don't think the blocks are sufficient enough, the loose salt is found to be better for our goats.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Beth, I use the same type of feeder for my goats...the does is 2 1/2 feet and the boys at 2 feet...bigger for the girls because there are more of them and even though I have to refill often...1 x at least every month to month and a half, it works very well for mine. My boys get the same mineral but for each 10 pounds of minerals I mix 1 pound of ammonium chloride powder into it, gives me the peace of mind that I may be helping with preventing UC.....And they drink alot more water than usual...3 boys and 3-4 gallons a day as opposed to the 5 girls and 6-8 gallons a day.

11. lilbird

lilbird New Member

Mar 30, 2008
    We had problems with the big ones so hubby welded up some horse shoes and made a holder for the small block...we hung it from the ceiling and the goats love it....kind of like a toy to them and it keeps it from getting nasty!!!! If your interested I can email a pic if you know someone that welds or Hubby said he would make one and sell it for 15 dollars....I know there would be shipping also...just let me know....
    Thanks
    Jill