Mineral blocks vs. loose minerals

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KFOWLER, Mar 22, 2011.

1. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    I usually give my herd mineral blocks...I usually cut them up in smaller chunks to make the blocks easier for the goats to eat. I bought a bag of loose minerals and gave to them today and they didn't really seem to care for the loose minerals...just thought it would be a little easier than to have to chunk up the blocks...but NOOOOOOOOOO they didn't really care for them. I wonder if I can mix it in with their feed or just continue to offer it by itself and hope they acquire a taste for it???

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes...You can mix a little bit with their feed....to let them get the taste for it...

What kind did you get?

3. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    It's Stockade 4 loose mineral supplement. I will mix it in with feed then...is it safe for them to have every day?

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    You may need to remove the blocks completely and then give them some time to get use to the other minerals...Never heard of those minerals before....
    But I use Right Now Onyx mineral....I use to use the cruddy stuff from Rural King (Not the Manna Pro Although I did try that and the girls wouldn't eat them after wasting a bag I decided no need to waste money on it since they weren't going to eat it) When I switched to the onyx mineral it did take them a week or two before they really took to it and now they love the stuff. And I love how they are doing on that mineral! I finally found something that works great for my herd. :)

5. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    It's funny you read everywhere that goats should have loose mineral....... yet they make these goat blocks......... Put one out and the goats will choose the block over loose minerals......whats up with that?.......If the loose is so much better than the block why is it that goats will eat more of the block than the loose?.........Personally we keep both out, I don't want to deprive them of anything they think they may need. The blocks get devoured we don't cut them up or anything they just come along and scrape their bottom teeth on it.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine wouldnt even touch a block -- but it took them a couple days to realize what the loose minerals were and at times they dont even eat them and I have to dump it out and replace it. But at other times they go through cups a day! its crazy

I would mix a bit into their feed and then leave it out free choice for a week or two and see if they acquire a taste for it

7. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    My goats are like yours. They won't touch the blocks besides I have always read that loose mineral is better because its easier for them to eat... *shrugs* the loose mineral works best here for my herd. :)

8. KFOWLER

KFOWLER New Member

Oct 5, 2010
    OKLAHOMA
    Thanks for all the input...I will continue to put some out for a week or so to see if they decide to like it...if not I will go back to the blocks because I know they liked those. I appreciate everybodys help!! And on another note...every time I tell people I have goats...the phrase "goats will eat anything" always seems to come up in the conversation...boy if these people only knew how picky some goats are that phrase would never come out of their mouth!!! LOL!!!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Maybe put it in their feed here and there...until they get the taste....

Also ...another idea is...just to let them know it is there...sprinkle a tiny bit of grain over the loose salt and minerals.... sometimes.... that works.....don't put alot in it...just enough to capture their interest.... :wink:

10. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    People saying goats eat everything is so annoying! My goat are such picky eaters! If they don't have top quality hay, they will turn their noses up to it and walk off like I'm trying to kill them or something! Lol they went from 5th cutting alfalfa to 4th cutting alfalfa...silly goats prefer the 5th cutting!

11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is annoying....I agree.... :hi5:

I also agree... that goats can be so picky....and mine sometimes do the sniff and walk off thing to me too...I just tell them OK... starve then.....but first... I smell it and look at it to make sure... there isn't any mold...or something off about it....if there isn't.... I leave it and they eventually ...give in and eat it....by the end of the day.. :wink:

12. Steve

Steve New Member

Mar 12, 2011
    Central Ky
    Mine wont eat loose minerals either,i think they might if i deprived them for awhile.I just buy the Dumor goat block from TSC,it is not as hard as the brown salt blocks or regular salt blocks.They can actually bite off chunks of it and chew it.It has alot of soy and molasses in it and it doe not compact as tight.They love it and i have never had any problems with them on it,cept they east it too fast for me.Next time your in a TSC check them out and try one.

13. tracyqh

tracyqh New Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm having trouble finding the Onyx Mineral. Can I order it online anywhere?

14. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Im not sure about that...

Do you have any places that carry Cargill's products? If so, ask them if they can order the mineral for you.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Around here the only Goat BLOCK I have ever seen is like a black one that is a pressed block, and it is not a hard one like a Salt block for horses or cattle.

Just leave it out, they will eat it when they need it. They are very smart animals and my goats are VERY picky also, it is really annoying at times.

17. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    The goat block we use is goat builder block from ragland. It has AC in it and we also use their loose mineral, just to have it there if they feel like they need it. The block gets used more, but at times they do get going on the loose too. I just like having the option out there for them.

18. Earthdriven

Earthdriven New Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Does every one here have goat pets? Or Dairy goats? Maybe raising them for meat?

We will be using our goats for dairy production. I understand that some vitamins and minerals are excreted in the milk so they need extra of those trace minerals and vitamins. What do the loose minerals offer that the blocks do not? We don't have either for our goats right now, but the general consensus of this thread seems to be that they prefer the blocks. Does one offer more or less nutrition than the other?

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The loose mineral is the better one. Goats generally can't lick enough of the block to get enough minerals. Plus the loose ones are usually higher in the minerals that they need. I would really suggest using something like Sweetlix Meatmaker 16:8 or Manna Pro Goat Mineral or Cargill Right Now Onyx cattle mineral.

You want something with not a lot of salt in it.

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Goats PREFER the blocks because they use molasses to form them. Goats LOVE molasses. With the loose minerals they get a little bit with each tongue full, with the block they have to lick, and lick, and lick, and lick.......rest a bit......lick some more, and some more and some more just to get a little miniscule amount of mineral and a whole lot of sweet molasses.