Mineral Buffet for Goats

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Blue Nani Ranch, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Blue Nani Ranch

Blue Nani Ranch New Member

Aug 1, 2020
    Oregon
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried out the Cafeteria-style Mineral Buffet that's been recommended by Pholia Farms? Providing minerals this way, as stated by Gianaclis at Pholia Farm, has the potential in preventing hyperextended knees in Nigerian dwarf goats.

Anyways, In her book "Holistic Goat Care", she discusses the mineral buffet, saying that she purchases the individual minerals through Advanced Biological Concepts. Well... That's 300 bucks, and a little too expensive for me. So with that being said, my main question is if anyone knows a cheaper alternative to this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I’ve heard some people that like it - but a good loose mineral, maybe some extra supplementation, will be fine too!!

Are you dealing with hyperextended knees?

To be honest, my only “beef” with buffets - goats are good at self regulation, but they are also dumb sometimes.

They have enough smarts to regulate a safe loose mineral - but give them a bunch of pure copper sulfate, selenium, they may eat too much without realizing it - and/or completely ignore the dolomitic lime to antidote it, or the equivalence of that.

I just wouldn’t be able to sleep well at night with that - but that’s just me!!

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree

4. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    However, maybe a buffet of certain, selective, safer, minerals could be an addition to loose minerals - where certain brands may be lacking.

5. Blue Nani Ranch

Aug 1, 2020
    Oregon
    I am dealing with hyperextended knees, sadly :( I just got confirmation a couple days ago that my buck is suffering from a hyperextended knee after thinking it was an injury this entire time. Turns out his sire is completely lame from it.. Gianaclis recommended that I try it. I'll also talk to her on if she has gone through any toxicity in doing this. I was wanting to attempt this buffet in order to prevent his daughters born this spring from having it, and hopefully treat his leg too. If you guys have any tips on how to help his leg, that'd be great! Thanks.

6. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I do not but it really is something I am interested in trying.
    Do a search on here for buffet minerals, someone, I’m sorry my mind is drawing a blank but they posted a different company then ABC. IF you do still want to try it might be a company to look into.
    Hopefully @moreskikoboars comes on soon, I bet she can help you out on the knee

7. Blue Nani Ranch

Aug 1, 2020
    Oregon
    I'll definitely look into it.. Thank you so much!

8. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Your very welcome and I hope someone comes along soon to help you with your buck

Blue Nani Ranch likes this.
  9. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA