The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting this thread for any newer discussions and updates on minerals changing their formulas, and anyone who is questioning deficiencies can post here.

Posting especially for @GreenMountainFarm who had a question and did not know how to post a thread.

·
Registered
309 Posts
EF8DE1CB-9417-4A36-9849-BFA4141B0FA0.jpeg
F2E559BB-3A2C-4DFD-9F09-589417025BA9.jpeg
Starting this thread for any newer discussions and updates on minerals changing their formulas, and anyone who is questioning deficiencies can post here.

Posting especially for @GreenMountainFarm who had a question and did not know how to post a thread.
Oh, haha, I knew how I just didn't know if I should! Thank you for posting this though!
Here is Ila and Otis (mother and son, 8 years old and 1 year old) they are both pure bred Alpines. They seem to be deficient in something and I've been using minerals from Southern States which @NigerianDwarfOwner707 said are low in copper. Any suggestions?
Ila has been struggling with keeping enough weight on and they both have pretty rough coats and dandruff. They are free ranging right now, but when lactating I feed 16% sweet feed mixed with alfalfa pellets and minerals, and when not lactating but it's winter I feed just 16% sweet feed and minerals. I also give plenty of hay in the winter.
I recently had to put one of my does down due to health issues so I really want to do the best I can with these guys.
The picture of Ila is when she was pregnant so I'll take a more recent photo when I get the chance. And Otis is green because the little squirt had just squeezed out from under the fence!

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
@Green Mountain Farm based on what you posted on the other thread and the pics you posted here, it is OK for your goats to have as much as they want of your current minerals. I would put them out free choice while you are searching for better options.

Reactions: Green Mountain Farm

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it's ok for them to eat handfuls of minerals in the beginning? It won't make them sick?
No, it won't make them sick - but if they ate an absolute ton, they could get loose stool - which is why it's important to have a high quality mineral that they don't need to eat a ton of, and to supplement when they need it - because if they need the copper from a bolus, they will never stop trying to get what they need from the loose minerals.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course copper and selenium toxicity is a thing. But it takes a TON! Injectable forms and quickly absorbed forms like a ton of copper sulfate or a MultiMin injection is usually what does it.

Loose minerals are made to be free choice. A top dressing mineral, something like TruCare4 - that’s not meant to be free choice. What you have is meant to be free choice. The numbers in minerals are low for a reason, so they don’t OD. Goat minerals should have ideally 2000PPM of copper and 50-80PPM selenium in my book. Take a peek at the back of your mineral bag and see what your numbers say. Last I recall, SS was under 1000.

Goats self regulate, they do. Goats also need a lot of copper and a lot of selenium. It’s just certain forms that the body cannot handle a lot of, like injectable forms because they have such a quick absorption rate.

I repeat, goats CAN die from too many minerals, but not loose minerals.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Of course copper and selenium toxicity is a thing. But it takes a TON! Injectable forms and quickly absorbed forms like a ton of copper sulfate or a MultiMin injection is usually what does it.

Loose minerals are made to be free choice. A top dressing mineral, something like TruCare4 - that's not meant to be free choice. What you have is meant to be free choice. The numbers in minerals are low for a reason, so they don't OD. Goat minerals should have ideally 2000PPM of copper and 50-80PPM selenium in my book. Take a peek at the back of your mineral bag and see what your numbers say. Last I recall, SS was under 1000.

Goats self regulate, they do. Goats also need a lot of copper and a lot of selenium. It's just certain forms that the body cannot handle a lot of, like injectable forms because they have such a quick absorption rate.

I repeat, goats CAN die from too many minerals, but not loose minerals.
Phew! It just made me nervous because the instructions on the bag say to mix a tiny bit with the feed. We put like 1/8 cup in 50 lbs of feed before. I'll find some better minerals but just keep a supply in their bucket until then.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Do y'all agree with DaNelle at Weed 'em and Reap? I've always followed her advice because she has limited space but still doesn't have parasite problems. I have limited space but have all the parasite problems. She talks about minerals and her goats diet and herbal dewormers in this video. I have a bunch of different threads going on different subjects and wasn't sure where to post this question so hopefully this is the right one.
Sorry for all the questions, y'all. I have so much to learn.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Yes. There is apparently a cinnamon one and a garlic one. I don't know which one I have, I can't find it on the bag and don't recall when I bought it.
The one I posted was the southern states goat mineral (https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/product/p-9495-southern-states-top-choice-goat-mineral-50-lb)

Is the the other one (that you don't know if you have or not)? https://www.southernstates.com/cata...ions-grass-mate-cinnamon-garlic-mineral-50-lb

What color is the bag? Based on the website (which could be wrong), if the bag is brown then the one you have is the cow mineral. Is there any label or anything that says what the ingredients of the mineral are?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I’VE helped DANELLE with her goats, she has little knowledge on minerals or parasites. I’m in a strong disagreement on minerals with her right now. The information she puts out is notoriously false, I don’t recommend her channel unless you want to be entertained.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Southern States Top Choice Goat Mineral:

400 PPM copper.
32 PPM selenium.

Incredibly low. If I fed this to my goats, they’d probably die - from a LACK of minerals!

I’ve seen photos of yours, they are already deficient. I wouldn’t have a worry in the world about this loose mineral or any!

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
Do y'all agree with DaNelle at Weed 'em and Reap? I've always followed her advice because she has limited space but still doesn't have parasite problems. I have limited space but have all the parasite problems. She talks about minerals and her goats diet and herbal dewormers in this video. I have a bunch of different threads going on different subjects and wasn't sure where to post this question so hopefully this is the right one.
Sorry for all the questions, y'all. I have so much to learn.

I don't agree with things she says. But the fact is, she is giving advice on her personal goats, just like the rest of us. You have to adjust anything anyone says to your goats. Every single farm is different. Even the farm down the street from you doesn't have the same nutritional needs. So you need to do your own research and adjust supplements, mineral and nutrition as needed for your goats. You can follow this person or anyone else's advice on here to the letter and find your goats are lacking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts