Mineral Frenzy

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nancy d, Jan 3, 2011.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Since the LGDs destroyed the loose mineral feeders I have been doing it by hand :stars:
    Im using the smile sarcastically cause some of it does get on the ground as they crowd around me fighting for it.
    Picture about 7 Boer whales crushing the life out you as you try to stay on your feet & keep pan level as they jostle each other & knock half the contents out, oh such fun!
    Since a bunch of them are about a month from kidding I go out twice a day & even the yrlngs cant seem to get enough, its bitter cold out & they all act like they dont get enough. Maybe not, self appointed herd queen makes it a point of taking over even when I know bloody well she's had her fair share.

2. :ROFL: Sorry that was a pretty funny visual!!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I have been knocked down...by a food fight........ :(

I know.. how strong they are..... :hair: :doh: :help: the things ...we do for our goats..... :wink: :thumb:

4. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!!! I give them mineral in a regular red bucket I got form TSC. I don't even fill it up to the halfway mark, so I refill it every few days - whenever they clean it out. When I bring it out OMG they are all over me. I hang it up and let them deal with each other, as hand feeding them was too scary LOL!!! just kidding :)

5. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    MommaB, no apology needed :wink:
    Oh Pam "Knocked down by a food fight" You got that right! We're just innocent victims, right?
    Hoosier I cant leave anything out there unless it's steel, else wise LGDs leave me a lifetime of plastic shreds to pick up. Methinks its easier to just risk my life hahahaha.
    Actually one of the dogs has been known to steal the pins from the hayrack the dirty dog.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :laugh: yep...your... so right..... :thumb:

7. Dunfactor

Dunfactor New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Lol! I can completely picture you out there with that mineral pan. :greengrin:

I do the same thing with my goats and feed minerals by hand every day. They would poop in the mineral feeder and waste a ton when I had it just set out for them. They really do go nuts for them and hurry to gobble them up before the others can beat them too it. :p The BIG difference is that mine are Nigis. I can't imagine the wave of goats that come to squash you since you have boers. :shocked: :greengrin: :p That is a lot of goaty muscle competing for their minerals.

Tracy