mineral salt block?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Hannah, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    I have a pregnant doe (nigerian) and a boer. I am not currently feeding a mineral salt block is that going to cause a problem?

2. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I would get one or better yet loose mineral.They need minerals specialy if they are pregnant to make milk

3. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    ok do they need salt

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Do you have loose minerals available? You don't need a block if you have goat minerals available. The loose minerals are a must. The salt block is an extra pretty much.

I always have loose minerals available free choice. Also try to keep a white salt lick and a sweetlix block out...the goats eat the sweetlix block like candy though so have to watch them.

But yeah, definately keep the loose minerals available constantly. ;)

5. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Loose minerals are the way to go to keeping them from suffering any deficiencies. I buy a large bag of loose minerals for my boer/mixes and it lasts quite a while. I think I have to buy a bag every 4-5 months? And it's around $23 a bag at our local feed store.

MAKE SURE IT"S GOAT SPECIFIC! Don't buy mineral for other animals...because things like copper - other animals don't need much of - but goats need a lot of copper....

6. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    is that all I need besides her feed to insure good health for her and her unborn kids?

7. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    good alfalfa hay atleast 3rd cut is best.Grain and fresh clean water daily. If you vaccinate you will need to do so 2 weeks before she kids and you will need to deworm her right after she kids.If your selenium deficient in your area you will also need to give selenium with vitamin E.Good luck and happy kidding! :)

8. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    what would I vaccinate for. I am new to this

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everyone...loose salts and minerals(for goats)is essential ...free choice...the blocks aren't good enough for them alone.... .. also baking soda free choice..

CD&T vaccine... is good to give at ..1 month prior to kidding ...if the goat never had a shot before... then will need the booster shot 21 to 28 days later... :wink:

10. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    ok where would I get a CD&T shot

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Tractor Supply carries Bar-Vac CD/T as well as the syringes and needles..they also carry Ivermectin injectible wormer or what I use, the ivermectin horse paste..CD/T needs to be given to pregnant does 4 weeks before delivery...and if this is her first vaccine, it will need to be boostered 3 weeks from the initial injection. The dose is 2cc regardless of size or breed.

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    oops sorry I said 2 weeks.I don't vaccinate anymore so go with what they said

13. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    ok I will go and see

14. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I give the Colorado Surem of CDT instead of the Bar Vac, my vet finally agrees that the Bar vac can leave lumps. 2cc no matter the age or weight.

Also it goes Sub Q, (under the skin), I give my goats the shot in their armpit.

If you have a pregnant one she needs it 2-4 weeks before she kids, if you miss that window, no problem (I have done it before), it just means the babies will need one at 21 to 28 days then again in another 21-28 days. If mom got hers they need tow shots if mom did NOT get her shot then the babies need three.

15. iddybit acres

iddybit acres New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Newberry, MI
    You can use the horsey stuff??? ivermectin horse paste