Mineral supplement preference(s)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by LatigoLiz, Oct 2, 2008.

1. LatigoLiz

LatigoLiz Boise Creek Boers

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    I have a couple of questions about mineral supplements.

What mineral brand/type do you use?

Do you do give yours free choice or top dress it onto the goats’ feed?

2. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    I couldn't tell you the brand right off the bat but I do free choice. They know how much to eat.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use DuMor pasture minerals freechoice, has a comparable content to a goat specific mineral but this is labeled for cattle also. Hubby made me pvc pipe feeders so they can access it without soiling it.

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The only thing we've ever used is Sweet Lix loose. We leave it out free choice during the summer but it cakes up at the least bit of humidity with the system we use so I found I just have to go out with a small pan of it & make sure everyone gets some...some eat more than others at different times.
    I have tried top dressing it but it just falls through the grain to the bottom of the pan.

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I. too, give it free choice and use a PVC feeder that DH made me (going to need more of them though - LOL!)

Right now I have Purina Goat minerals (specifically for goats) but am waiting for the next batch of minerals to be made for this specific area so I can purchase those :)

6. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Sweetlix Meat maker (loose) is what I use...great mineral and I can get it a good price.

7. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    goat protein pail fromTSC

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Sinse living here i have used purina goat mineral and then suppliments with bo-se and copper as needed. There is a lady in bend oregon that makes a mix specific to that area. And when i lived there i used that. Im sure there are other parts of the coutry, there are people doing the same. But for the most i am very pleased with the results of the purina mineral.
    beth

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    loose salt and minerals for cattle has copper in it... free choice............

10. LatigoLiz

LatigoLiz Boise Creek Boers

Sep 25, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    I had 2 choices at the feed store the other day. Purina (cheaper) and Kropf/CHS Payback Feeds 16-8 Goat Mineral Plus. I picked the latter. Feeding instructions say to feed either free choice or 0.5 to 0.75 ounces/hd/day. Once I get a feeder set up I will set it out free choice, but in the meantime I will either drop dress it onto the pellet mash or put it in a separate feed pan.

11. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Right now we use Golden Blend Minerals from Hoegger's. Our goats take it better when I sprinkle it on their food.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I only use Sweet Lix meat makers, free choice mineral and I use Sea Kelp free choice along with Baking Soda.
    I do not use anything else because those have all that my goats need.

13. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Loose goat minerals, generic from our mill. free choice.
    Protein mineral block.
    Thats for the Boars and Pygmies.

For the Angoras:
    Selenium salt loose, free choice.
    Sheep block.
    Angoras cant have the copper of goats. They are like sheep, very little copper.

14. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I use a mix for cattle that has selenium added (not sure of the brand). It is comparable to most goat mineral mixes--which is good because none of the stores around here carry goat minerals and it's easier not having to go through the bother of special ordering...

All of the stores here have a very lousy selection of goat supplies...

15. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I would like to add that I was talking about loose minerals in my post...I tried the block kind and the protein block and my goats managed to soil them and wouldn't use them...