The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s seems as if I am losing this battle. I can’t seem to figure out what is going on with my Does. I don’t know if I am oversupplementing or they are still deficient. My Does seem to have a perpetual anemia. I had a fecal checked last week and I know is not worms that is causing it infact the fecals were pretty clean some coccidia eggs showed but at a moderate amount and only one of myDoes showed 3 epg. My does have rough coats, low energy faded and wirey coats and overall don’t seem very healthy. I provide free choice sweetlix meat maker and kelp andhave been giving them a copper bolus every 3 months. Does anyone know what are theclinical signs of too much calcium in goats? I have noticed that my Does have this chalkywhite stuff around their vulva. Do you thinkthat could be too much calcium in their diet? I have no idea what it could be so my smallbrain came up with that idea. I don’t think is from their heat cycle because it has been showing for about a month now. It’s there every day. We use city water but it’s hard water so I am sure there is lots of calcium in the water plus they get alfalfa pellets, alfalfa hay and a little orchard grass and some grain on the stand. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Any suggestions and comments from others are welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by cutting your alfalfa out. Too many antagonists. A small amount of alfalfa pellets if any are lactating.

Photos would be very helpful.

How pale are FAMACHAs?

Who is doing your fecal tests?
Scores are between 3 and 5 somedays are better and some are worse. I usually send fecals to MeadowMist. I have two Does in milk and a 6 month Doeling.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree the alfalfa plus hard water may be to much calcium the biggest issue there is calcium is one of the main minerals that blocks other minerals from being used properly. But seriously your pictures look good, even better then a few of my own, I have 1 specifically that can't hold her copper, she improves for a few weeks then starts heading back to scraggly... anyways I'm not seeing the wirey coats your taking about but that could just be the pictures, I can see some mild fish tails and some faded color though. Do you give them a set amount of copper or dose by weight? The common recommended dose on her I believe is 1gm per 22 pounds, I usually dose to what ever is closest for a 4gm pill. As for the chalky white stuff, I'm not sure but my girls have it too, I've always just assumed it was like dry pee. Calcium isn't like b vitamins though it continues to build up in the system until its needed, they dont pee out the extra. I mean yes some (a little) gets peed out but you wouldn't want then peeing out a lot, there is a medical condition for people but I can't recall what it is. It's where the body stops using calcium and starts flushing it out instead, it can be really dangerous... anyways my suggestions would be try decreasing alfalfa, consider a water filter for the animals, double check your copper dose. Also find out if your area is low in selenium, I find at Ieast for my herd that treating proactively for selenium deficiency seemed to help with a lot of our issues, like getting thier selenium up improved there ability to use the other minerals properly. Oh and add red cell to their diet for a few days to help with the animea, I find it easier to mix with their grain but I know most prefer to drench it.

·
Super Moderator
32,164 Posts
I would decrease the alfalfa. Feed either the pellet or the alfalfa hay. I would also consider getting a cobalt block. We were seeing pale famachas and no heavy worm load here and it was frustrating! Got the cobalt block and things looks much better now. It took a while, but it helped. Definitely grab an inline hose filter. I use the horse hydrator and it helps. Finding that balance can be a chore. Hows their skin? Dry flaky or looks ok?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
May I first just say that your goats look great! Such minor issues.

1. Reduce alfalfa (switch to grass hay)
2. Get a Horse Hydrator water filter
3. Get a cobalt block
4. Start on chlorophyll (rebuilds red blood cells)
5. I think I see some flaky skin, I would buy some Zinpro40 and give once daily for a week, then once weekly for a little while and see how they do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I been having trouble with sending messages so I hope I can answer all questions. So I copper bolus every 3 months and I give them a 4 gram bolus. We are selenium and vitamin E deficient. The vet said with the loose minerals it would be enough. I was supplementing with replamin plus gel for a bit and saw that their coats started looking better and then I stopped, reason for that was because I noticed that one of my does started grinding her teeth every time I gave it so I made my own conclusion that maybe I was over supplementing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I notice now that their coats are starting to looks scruffy again. I did get a cobalt block I forgot to mention. They’ve had for about a month now. I also bought a TruCare 4 but again I am worried to give it that’s why I am here to get ya’ll opinions. What I am saying is that I am afraid to give too much and cause toxicity. I am newbie and just trying to absorb all the knowledge you can offer. I know that every herd is different but I am sure there’s things that can work for others from your experiences.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
It’s takes time for it to work.

The chlorophyll also helps rebuild red blood cells.

I cannot stress this enough, your goats look good.

I would prefer you use zinpro for the flaky coats, or half of a 50mg human zinc pill.

Once you reduce alfalfa I think it should help a lot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's takes time for it to work.

The chlorophyll also helps rebuild red blood cells.

I cannot stress this enough, your goats look good.

I would prefer you use zinpro for the flaky coats, or half of a 50mg human zinc pill.

Once you reduce alfalfa I think it should help a lot.
Thank you. I feel better now like I said I am new to goats and just worry too much about their well being.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also wanted to post a photo of my Doe that has had a goopy eye for quite sometime now. I clean it twice a day and even used terramycin and it doesn’t help. It’s not pink eye. I have even used a human eye drop but doesn’t help.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
It’s ok, I panicked too when I first started having deficiencies. I’m going to tell you the truth, you are never going to get them perfect if you have hard water, but you can do your best. And your goats look wonderful. The only thing, and really, the ONLY thing, I am concerned about is the anemia. I’d do as much blood building as you can with chlorophyll and the cobalt, you can do vitamin b injections weekly. For the ones that are past borderline safe you could do a round of red cell for one week.

Wheatgrass is really good for blood cleansing, parsley and nettle have lots of iron. All good things to give.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,511 Posts
She may have a blocked tear duct or allergies. You could try a dose of Benadryl and see if it improves at all. Otherwise, just flush it daily.

And I just realized I recognized your username from emails - Flo, right? (I am The Giving Goat, LLC)

I know you have been dealing with this for a while. You are doing a great job. Your girls look good, their body conditions look good, so let’s see how taking alfalfa away helps their FAMACHAs and minerals.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.