Minerals And Grain

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Feb 14, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Ok, I KNOW loose minerals are the best.

The new area my goats will be in doesnt sell much goat stuff, so im trying to stock up on minerals, problem is the feed stores have NO loose minerals, I literly have to drive to another feed place, but we dont have time to do that this week

Theres this horse salt lick, it has a BUNCH of minerals added in, would that work?

If not what kind of minerals would be best to try and find?

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Minerals

Best bet... is getting goat loose minerals....I would contact the feed stores and see... if they can order it for you...I have done that is the past...and they did that for me....worth a shot.... :wink:

3. TinyHoovesRanch

Are there good feed stores where you are? I wont be too far from you, so if theres a feed place that has loose minerals there I can drive and go get some.

Im going to call the ones near me this week and see if I can order something

4. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I actually have to go out of town for mine as well....sucks... but... we have to have it for our goats.... :wink:

5. TinyHoovesRanch

WOW!! haha

Great...I use Sweetlix minerals right now

But of course, cant find it ANYWHERE and Im almost out

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Check around... to see if ..they can order some for you... :wink:

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

We have about 4-5 feed stores in the small town nearby and NONE sell goat minerals. I think one offers a really plain goat feed and the other I know from time to time have the goat block supplements.

I have to drive about 35-45 minutes to get grain and loose mineral. I do this 1x a month for grain. The loose mineral lasts us a while. I'd think a big bag of mineral would do you for a while? Or you could double up as long as you have a good, dry place to store it.

8. TinyHoovesRanch

The minerals I have now have lasted like 2 months, the goats dont eat much in the winter, but lately have been attacking them!

Im going to try and get some from my local feed store and then hopefully I wont need anymore for a month or 2.

Its also REALLY hard to find grain. They have Purina Goat Chow and then this Livestock Grain which is really nice for goats. They also have Omeline 300

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I would ask the feed store if they could order some for you. If you and a friend or someone could purchas a pallet of it, they would probably get it for you, but for under 10 bags, I would doubt they'd order it...but you never know...just ask.

It's really only best to use goat made minerals...if there is absolutely no way to get them for awhile than you can look for all breed livestock minerals...they will do ok on it for awhile until you can find some.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I agree...the cattle minerals is about the closest ...it has copper ...if you can't get the goat minerals... :wink:

11. TinyHoovesRanch

So do you know any brand names for minerals or grain?

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Purina ....
    manna Pro....

I drew a blank...LOL :laugh:

13. TinyHoovesRanch

hahaha So would Purina Goat chow be ok?

For minerals we used sweetlix.

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

yes it should be ...see what brands they carry there.....

15. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Im so glad we have a 3 feed stores near us, and all sell goat products (how in the world did that happen? Goat? Whats a goat? hehe) but the goat feed here is not what we like, so we use a 16% horse feed and add things to it for the goats. Basically we get it all mixed at our fave store. We buy most of our things from the one store, hes the cheapest and likes us. LOL We buy all of our feed (horse, goat, dog, chicken) and our goat minerals there. Sweetlix meat maker. We also buy Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) from them in like 25lb bags. Its great. :)
    We buy horse mineral blocks, and horse salt blocks from our TSC. and sometimes goat protein pails, but they are only like 14% protein. We find the best deals for goat licks at our Co-Op. 33lb tubs for like $25.00!! And they are 18% protein......

I hope you can find your minerals soon!

16. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
  17. TinyHoovesRanch

I heard Manna Pro goat minerals werent very good....

I have been using purina, so if its better then I will continue to use it

18. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'd stay with goat minerals, the others you listed looked to be for other animals. I think we use Nutralix? not sure on the spelling... The feed store i have to go to sell it and it's highly recommended by people we bought goats from or talk to in this area <I'm in KY>. We only pay $7.21 for a 40 or 50lb bag of medicated goat feed too! Everyone has said this cheaper feed is the best in the area and my goats LOVE it. It beats paying $14 a bag at other places. So with that said, do you know anyone in your immediate area? Ask them what they feed their goats? See what's recommended? The feed store here mixes their own from what I was told.... But there are a lot of people raising commercial boer goats in the area around the feed store so there is a lot of demand...

We have all the feed stores as I mentioned like 4 or 5, but they ALL specialize in horses or cattle. There are 2-3 that are horses only. In fact the place I get my pallets from is called 'Horse Cents' hehe.... Some of the biggest horse farms in the world are in this county...and it's wonderful I love the farms...but it makes it hard to find anything for critters like goats....Funny how this county has pretty much nothing, but you go one county below us and can find everything you need.....