The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mama pro minerals and the girls don't seem to be eating any. I tried it on their food and that didn't work. This may sound old school but when I spend time with them they just continue to lick me all over and I think they are lacking something like maybe salt. What should I try next seeings they won't touch what I have now. Thank you

·
14,615 Posts
Around here it's almost always humid. Minerals cake up & they wont touch them.
If someone sticks a foot in the mineral feeder they wont touch that
either.
I go out every day with a panful & make sure everyone gets a reasonable fair share.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
This may sound old school but when I spend time with them they just continue to lick me all over and I think they are lacking something like maybe salt.
You are absolutely correct in your thought process. Please don't ask me how I know that, though. :eek: How are you offering it? What is the salt content of Manna Pro? Have you tried other brands, and how did that work out? I would look up the salt content, but my ISP is the pits. Sometimes the formulation puts the goats off of eating it. Sometimes it's just the goats. I've had very good luck with Essential Show Goat mineral, as well as ADM Alliance mineral. I'm very limited in goat mineral because of the area I live in.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Im using manna pro and the first few weeks they wouldn't touch it. It tried leaving it out and putting it my hand for them and they wouldn't even try it. But they would eat the bark off the pecan trees instead so i started to get a medium sized syringe about the width of you're pinky, took the end part out so its just the part with the numbers, fill it up to the teaspoon mark and just pour it in there mouths everyday from the open end (the part where the needle would go would be the bottom it shouldn't pour out the tiny hole). It was kind of a hassle being that a few are bigger than me but i only had 11 so it worked for a little while. They stopped eating the bark after that and about 2 weeks after i started doing that they would eat it on their own. Now they love the stuff and i have to limit them to so much per day or they will eat it until its gone. I have no idea why they were like that but they are fine with it now haha. :)

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your input. I will check the bag for the salt content.. I have it in s food dish next to the baking soda and I have tried adding it to their grain. It has been humid here also. I will try the hand feeding and see if that works. Its to bad they don't have smaller bags or samples. I only have three goats and hate to keep buying minerals and not have them eat them. If hand feeding don't work then will try another brand. Again thank you for the help

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a really hard time with minerals too. I have resorted to squishing it into a piece of bread and feeding that, but too if a put too much they won't even eat the bread.

·
Super Moderator
58,925 Posts
If you are really having that hard of a time, you may want to consider using Replamin Plus on a regular basis. It is a gel.

Try some kelp too. If they like it a lot, then try slowly mixing in the minerals. And I mean start with like a teaspoon of minerals mixed in to something like a cup or two of the kelp.

·
1,524 Posts
I use the Purina cattle mineral, which my goats really seem to like, and they are doing very well on it. I would prefer the Onyx, but no one up here carries the Cargill nor will they order them for me.

I use kelp meal I get locally. I put it out separately, but it can be mixed. I did that to begin with so they would get used to them.

Your goats may not need a lot of minerals right now. Mine go thru phases where they will chow down on them like there is no tomorrow, and then not touch them for weeks. When they are late pregnant and during the hot summer they go thru a lot. The rest of the time they just nibble off and on.

Keeping the minerals clean is a big thing. The kids are putting their feet in them right now, so every night I clean out the dispenser and replace the minerals I took out. I feed the wasted minerals to the horses, they don't care if the goat kids were tap dancing thru them.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Here we use Blue Seal Min A Mix, one of the few i found and like. Both Willow and Gidget were eating that fine here.. If your ever around the area I could give you a bit to try so you don't have to buy a big 50# bag and not like it..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts