Minerals Keep Going To Waste

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Pronking Publius, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Pronking Publius

Pronking Publius Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Weston, MO
    I'm relatively new to goats...I've had four for about 6 months now. I've always supplied them with with loose minerals (I think they are Purina), but they never eat them. Periodically I dump out the minerals, clean the dish and put new minerals in, at which time I feed it to them personally and they love it. They'll all nibble at it right after I put it out, but then they NEVER touch it after that. I hang it off the fence, so it's not getting soiled, and it's not getting rained on. For some stupid reason the only time they ever touch it is when I put them out fresh. I know they never touch it cuz I only put out a little at a time, and it just sits there. If I don't keep constantly putting new stuff in and throwing the old, then they never touch it, and even when I keep changing it out the only time they do touch it is right when I put it out, just that one time. What gives?

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Floyd, Va
    Ours do the same exact thing. They all fight over it when its fresh, then once its been there a day its apparently not good enough for them!

3. fd123

fd123 Senior Member

May 29, 2012
    macon, Ga.
    same here!! Maybe with the type of feed that we feed...and the browse thats eaten at our places are sufficent...????...Ive read and heard that a goat will eat what they need if available....

4. WillowGem

WillowGem Love them goats!

Aug 3, 2011
    Michigan
    Do you feed them grain?
    If so, try top dressing the grain with minerals every day.
    They'll get fresh stuff, and you'll know they're eating enough of it.

I don't have a problem with my boys eating old minerals, they're chowing on it all the time...fresh or old, they don't care! :wink:

5. LilBleatsFarm

LilBleatsFarm Premier Colorado Nigerian Dwarf Breeder

Jul 18, 2012
    Colorado
    very intersting ......
    have no idea or suggestions.

My girls and older boys eat up their kelp and purina minerals.

My lil boys take weeks to finish off their kelp and minerals but I don't but new stuff out till they finish the old.

6. Shellshocker66

Shellshocker66 Wrapped around a hoof!

Mar 19, 2012
    Southern Oregon
    I had same problem when I was using Purina goat minerals. All happy when first put out, then it sat.

With limited options in the area for a good mineral, I was finally told about our local feed mill making a meat goat mineral (think they are trying to copy sweetlix, which we don't have in area), since switching to feed mill mineral they now nibble it all the time. No more sitting.

I had also noticed if I sprinkle a little brewer's yeast on the minerals they nibble it a lot more.

7. Pronking Publius

Pronking Publius Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Weston, MO
    I suspected I wasn't the only one. I do feed them pellets every day, so I think I might top dress my grain every now and again with the minerals. That sounds like a good idea. Not sure I should do that every day, cuz they might be getting enough without my knowing it. I think I'll also try a different brand when I run out of the ones I have now and see how that works. Thanks for the tips!

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    My goats HATE the Purina mineral. i had to play around and I finally got a good one. It is really a cow mineral that is higher in Cooper then any goat mineral. Mine now fight over the mineral. I have several feeders all over the barn.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't like the Purina stuff...way too high in salt...my goats don't like it either. I switched to mostly sweetlix mineral and they eat on it all the time. Your goats may simply not need it or the salt content is too high for them...or they just don't like it.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    This is what I use exactly.... :greengrin:

I don't either ...the first time I tried it not knowing it was mostly salt....I assumed it was good for goats because it said "goat minerals" by Purina ...boy I was wrong.... :doh: my Does had kidding issues and where selenium deficient as well as weak kids born....it was a nightmare... :(

I just refresh mine a lot...
    I did make a nice pipe feeder for them and the boogers broke it...so now... I just use a wood box....

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Making a good mineral feeder will help prevent waste and keep them fresh. I have rabbit type feeders to hold my minerals and very little waste. :thumb:

12. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    You could try adding a little bit of Kelp to the minerals. My goats go nuts over Kelp. I add it to the minerals so they eat it slower. I do a 50/50 mix of Kelp and Fertrell Minerals. I also provide them with Sweetlix Meat Maker Minerals. They consume both types about the same rate. The only time I have to dump it is if someone poops in it or someone steps in it.

13. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Our goats do this too and it drives me crazy! They won't touch the mineral we got them last year from southern states, the 'dark' colored ones that are supposed to be really good for them.
    They love the 'red' tinted minerals, but the last bag we got is medicated and they don't eat it very much at all, I've had this bag for about a year!
    They will stick their nose in it when it's fresh, and occassionally at other times, but for the most part the older ones just want to play with the bucket that I keep it in!

So....I typically bring it out, leave it for a day, and put it up. A day or two later, I bring it back out, leave it, take it back in. THis way they seem to have a little more interest in it, and it doesn't get 'old' as bad, at least I don't think so anyway lol

I admit I can't wait to try a different mineral. I need to find out which one the feed store we are now using can get. The kind we've been using is from ultralyx.

14. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't either ...the first time I tried it not knowing it was mostly salt....I assumed it was good for goats because it said "goat minerals" by Purina ...boy I was wrong.... :doh: my Does had kidding issues and where selenium deficient as well as weak kids born....it was a nightmare... :(

I just refresh mine a lot...
    I did make a nice pipe feeder for them and the boogers broke it...so now... I just use a wood box....[/quote:2iwi5j0c]

Mannapro is what we use ... does that have too much salt? We also mix in seasalt and kelp. They love it, but am I giving them too much salt then? The LAST thing I want is kidding issues.

15. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I use to use the SweetLix but no one around in a 100 miles sells it so that is why I had to go with the other.

16. TiffofMo

TiffofMo New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    SW Missouri
    I give my goats what they will eat in 2 days then add more every other day only thing i dump is some goat poop that gets in there somehow.

17. MAW

MAW New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I mix granulated kelp, 2parts kelp to 1 part purina loose mineral and they all go through it very quickly.

18. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    My goats didn't like the Purina minerals.. so I use Manna Pro..(costs more :( ) but I also top dress it with Vionate pet vitamin/mineral supp. and they like that.

19. rosti

rosti Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Centerville,WA
    What brand cow mineral?

What do you do for copper? The only stuff I found was for sheep too and sheep can't have copper so......

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have PVC pipe feeders, keeps the mineral fresh and gravity feeds as they take from them....I use Cargill Right Now Onxy, all of my goats like it and I also have used the Manna Pro , goats really liked them but with such a small bag it wasn't lasting long for 9 goats....I currently have a 2 dish feeder for my bucks until I can get a pipe feeder made, I've put both minerals in it and the Onyx mineral is preferred as I've had to refill it twice in the last week, the Manna Pro is still there.