The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Got a quick question. I picked up a bag of Sweetlix meat maker at my local feed store. Got it home and opened it, only to realize it is medicated with Rumensin. I can't put it out free choice, so will stick with my manna pro goat minerals for that, but I want to use the Sweetlix and will have to mix it with their feed. Anybody have any idea how much I can mix per cup of feed? The directions are 1.1# per 48.8# of nonmedicated feed (or something like that). I put about a teaspoon per cup this morning. Thanks, y'all!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I top dress with 1 TBSP for my does/doeling who get 1 or 1 1/2 cups grain. (Nigerians and a Mini Nubian) For my big, full size LaMancha's, they get 2 TBSP in their grain mix. We live in the Pacific Northwest, a copper and selenium deficient area. So while I do put it out free choice, I top dress as well. We also use Sweetlix Meat Maker medicated and non medicated, and my girls love it! I definitely prefer this brand for loose minerals over any other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought I was getting the nonmedicated. I intended to put it out free choice, but after reading the attached tag, it said "Do Not Feed Undiluted". So I went back out there and removed it from their mineral bowl. I have 2 6 month olds...one Saanen and a LaMancha. They didn't seem to be pleased that I put it on their feed :) They are the 2 pickiest goats I've ever seen!

·
558 Posts
My girls are like that too. If I put the minerals on their grain, they won't eat it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh my goodness...I just went back out there and those little boogers had left their food sitting there! I don't know what I'm going to do with them! They just don't want to touch any minerals for some reason...wouldn't touch alfalfa pellets with a 10 foot pole...and won't eat anything but mixed grains! No pellets of any kind! No way, no how...not gonna happen. How are they going to get any decent nourishment? But they do have plenty of browse in the pasture and free choice Timothy/mixed grass hay. I just wish I could at least get them to eat the minerals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts