The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite loose mineral? I'm almost out of my bag of purina loose minerals and wondering if I should get that again or look for another choice.
I tried looking on Hoegger supply for Golden Blend minerals but I couldn't find it on their site for some reason. My goats loved that before!
Anyway, kinda curious.

· ~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,463 Posts
Well my feed store only has purina, manna pro, and blue seal.. I used the Manna Pro for a while when I only had two does... But once we got up to four we were going through that little bag like crazy! So we switched to the Blue Seal... I'm sure other feed stores have other choices but this is the closest one, and my girls are doing well on it :) though I do believe Blue Seal is a New England brand... I have heard great things about the Cragail and the Sweet Lix :) want to try it at some point and see if it's better :)

· ~Crazy Goat Lady~
28,463 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody! I'm so glad I asked! I'll call the feed store tomorrow. I know I can get the Sweet Lix meat maker here but not sure about the Cargill Right Now Onyx or the Sprout goat mineral. I'm not familiar with those. I'll google it and see if I can get info on it, if I can't get that I'll get something good like it. I found some Thorvin Kelp near by, I'm going to get that. The goats will be soooooo happy, we've been out! LOL
Thanks again!

· Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,806 Posts
You may find that you need to mix two different kinds to get high enough levels of the things you need. Here is a pic of our mineral mix. As you can see no vitamins. We had thought about mixing but we love the very high levels of selenium and copper but because we feed dairy quality alfalfa that is loaded with a ton of vitamins and other goodies that are missing from our mix, we just decided to leave it as is. If its not broke, dont fix it. Also, the all stock grain we give prior and during milking season, also has a good balance.

Attachments

· Banned
5,939 Posts
I'm almost out of my bag of purina loose minerals and wondering if I should get that again or look for another choice.
I would never feed Purina mineral - it is nearly 50% salt, and the salt acts as a limiter. I use either ADM goat mineral or Essential goat minerals, and my girls love both. Sweet Lyx Meat Maker is another good mineral. I used them for quite a while until the company I was ordering them through became too unreliable. Others on here have said Manna Pro, Onyx, and several others I can't think of now.

Are any of these places near you? They are all listed as being dealers for Golden Blend products on the Golden Blend website.

http://goldenblendfeeds.com/dealers/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.