The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys think it is fine to but manna pro minerals on apples? My goats don't care for the taste, and I can't find any other.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
It is but it won't be enough. If they really won't eat it and you have nothing else local, then I would suggest get Replamin Plus gel. You give 5cc daily for 5 days then once a week after that. Buy the 300cc gel and buy the applicator gun. You will still have to supplement copper and other minerals but then you won't have to worry about them not eating the manna Pro.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is but it won't be enough. If they really won't eat it and you have nothing else local, then I would suggest get Replamin Plus gel. You give 5cc daily for 5 days then once a week after that. Buy the 300cc gel and buy the applicator gun. You will still have to supplement copper and other minerals but then you won't have to worry about them not eating the manna Pro.
Okay, I was just trying to find a quick solution because the only store is 1 1/2 away...

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I suspect your goats are liking it OK. They are just supposed to be licked as needed, from time to time, not eaten like a feed. Only put out a bit at a time, because goats like it best when fresh.

Also, they are curious, and if they see you paying attention to the minerals, sniffing it, touching it, they'll be interested.

And finally, it's a great idea to put some on apples if that will introduce them to it in a pleasant way. Just so long as you also have it out for them free choice.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suspect your goats are liking it OK. They are just supposed to be licked as needed, from time to time, not eaten like a feed. Only put out a bit at a time, because goats like it best when fresh.

Also, they are curious, and if they see you paying attention to the minerals, sniffing it, touching it, they'll be interested.

And finally, it's a great idea to put some on apples if that will introduce them to it in a pleasant way. Just so long as you also have it out for them free choice.

Hope this helps.
They lick it sometimes, but I give the correct amount and I dump what is left in the morning and but fresh stuff in. But there has been more than 2/3 left

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
There is no "correct" amount. It is free choice. If you are dumping that much, then maybe put less out or let them have it longer? No reason they must have fresh every day.

So, I think you are good, except for what was discussed before.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
There is no "correct" amount. It is free choice. If you are dumping that much, then maybe put less out or let them have it longer? No reason they must have fresh every day.

So, I think you are good, except for what was discussed before.
I have a free flowing feeder. I fill it with about 8 pounds and then as they lick more comes out. Every day I'll run my fingers through it to make it new again.

I've also used just a hanging fence feeder, for this -- just don't put in much at all and again run your fingers through it daily and make it "new" again.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My girls won’t touch loose minerals.

They do lick the Rock salt block occasionally but won’t touch loose stuff

Judging by their condition I suspect they are getting enough minerals from the feed and tree leaves

In japan I haven’t come across anyone who gives loose minerals. Everyone uses Himalayan salt lick blocks. Can’t even buy it at feed stores

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
The Japanese Culture is old, anthropologically speaking. But the Japanese soil is new, geologically speaking...

If you ever have time, @Drmike I'd love to read a thread of yours about what it is like to live in and raise goats in Japan, and how you balance that with your medical practice demands...

I'm one who loves to hear about the challenges and triumphs of other places than where I'm from.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts