The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been following DaNelle at Weed 'em and Reap and she suggests kelp, dolomitic lime, sulfur and copper sulfate. How do I offer it to the goats? Should it be free-choice? Like in a small bucket? Are they just going to eat it or should I put it with food?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,349 Posts
Ugh DaNelle knows nothing about minerals and I have had to coach her on this personally.

That recipe is actually from Pat Coleby.

Honestly, some people love it and swear by it. But if you ask me, it’s only supplying one main mineral which is copper, and only one form of it. Pat is from another part of the WORLD and has very different mineral needs.

We need selenium, and zinc, and copper, and TONS of other vitamins and minerals.

As for Pat Coleby’s recipe it IS free choice so put in a bowl or bucket and they will eat it as they please.

However, I recommend instead both a good loose mineral mix (such as Sweetlix Meat Maker 16:8, or Purina Wind Rain & Storm Cattle Mineral which are two of the easiest to find). But if you provide your location we can help find a good mix that may be local to you if you cannot get either of those.

You also need a salt source, DaNelle uses Redmond Goat Mineral (which, while confusing because it’s mislabeled, is a mineralized salt, not a mineral, and should not be used by itself only addition to a loose MINERAL).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh DaNelle knows nothing about minerals and I have had to coach her on this personally.

That recipe is actually from Pat Coleby.

Honestly, some people love it and swear by it. But if you ask me, it's only supplying one main mineral which is copper, and only one form of it. Pat is from another part of the WORLD and has very different mineral needs.

We need selenium, and zinc, and copper, and TONS of other vitamins and minerals.

As for Pat Coleby's recipe it IS free choice so put in a bowl or bucket and they will eat it as they please.

However, I recommend instead both a good loose mineral mix (such as Sweetlix Meat Maker 16:8, or Purina Wind Rain & Storm Cattle Mineral which are two of the easiest to find). But if you provide your location we can help find a good mix that may be local to you if you cannot get either of those.

You also need a salt source, DaNelle uses Redmond Goat Mineral (which, while confusing because it's mislabeled, is a mineralized salt, not a mineral, and should not be used by itself only addition to a loose MINERAL).
Ok, I'm in Greensboro, NC so there are plenty of Tractor Supply and Southern States stores nearby. At what age should I offer minerals? My goats are 3 months and almost 5 months.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,349 Posts
Ok, I'm in Greensboro, NC so there are plenty of Tractor Supply and Southern States stores nearby. At what age should I offer minerals? My goats are 3 months and almost 5 months.
You should offer them now!

If you can order online at Jeffers Pet Supply they have smaller batches in resealable tubs of Sweetlix Minerals. If you only have a couple goats, it's much more convenient.

Check out this thread for some more info and participate if you'd like: https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/excellent-minerals-you-know-how-i-love-me-those-minerals.194612/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts