The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang. Suggestions please! I am feeding my 4 Pygmys orchard alfalfa grass from Tractor Supply daily and a mix of black oil sunflower seeds with assorted fruits and vegies 4 or 5 times a week. They are in a 1/4 acre pen with not much to eat right now except what I feed them. I know I'm supposed to add some minerals to their diet... BUT.... I cant find anything they like! Of course all the labels say they are good for them but I'm looking for knowledge from all of you so I don't give them CRAP! So far I have a tried Purina Wind and Rain and Purina Goat Mineral. I throw it in a bucket attached to the wall, they sniff and lick to satisfy their curiosity then THATS IT! I also tried Mannapro apple and licorice treats.....NOPE. The only thing they like is the Purina apple and oat horse treats, but they are so hard to break into small pieces I gave them away. Are those "bad snacks" or good for them? I will buy them again and take a hammer to them if they are good for them. If not suggestions would be great! :)

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Hi gang. Suggestions please! I am feeding my 4 Pygmys orchard alfalfa grass from Tractor Supply daily and a mix of black oil sunflower seeds with assorted fruits and vegies 4 or 5 times a week. They are in a 1/4 acre pen with not much to eat right now except what I feed them. I know I'm supposed to add some minerals to their diet... BUT.... I cant find anything they like! Of course all the labels say they are good for them but I'm looking for knowledge from all of you so I don't give them CRAP! So far I have a tried Purina Wind and Rain and Purina Goat Mineral. I throw it in a bucket attached to the wall, they sniff and lick to satisfy their curiosity then THATS IT! I also tried Mannapro apple and licorice treats.....NOPE. The only thing they like is the Purina apple and oat horse treats, but they are so hard to break into small pieces I gave them away. Are those "bad snacks" or good for them? I will buy them again and take a hammer to them if they are good for them. If not suggestions would be great! :)
We use southern states weathershed mineral. It is a cattle mineral but has good levels of stuff that they need.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
3,577 Posts
The goats are supposed to just lick the minerals and get what they need when they feel like they need it. For my goats when I put the new minerals out it took them a few days to get used to where they are and what they taste like. Mineral intake also varies based on their needs. Do they look mineral deficient? Rough coat, faded color etcetera? If they don't then I'd say they're getting what they need, but you should still have minerals out for them.

A loose mineral mix is really what you want. Those treats from tractor supply are really just treats. A lot would not be good for them. Another thing you will want to do is make sure you're not putting too much loose minerals out at once. Put out just enough that they will eat in a day without running out completely. The minerals wick moisture out of the air and when they get damp the goats don't like to eat them as much. If you do leave out too much minerals than they can eat run you fingers through them the next day to get the clumps out. I will even put a little fresh on the top to get them interested again.

Another thing I want to add is having a fresh water source near the minerals can increase their mineral intake. I haven't really noticed this to be the case, but I've heard that it's true. I notice that mine eat the most minerals in between and right after eating hay.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Try sweetlix meat maker minerals, you can mix other minerals with it to use what you have, they love sweetlix. Well mine do.

But do know, goats will lick what their bodies need. If they haven't had it for a while, they may lick at it forever before they stop and it seems we have to re-fill it daily.
Other times, they won't touch it.
One thing is, to refresh as needed.

Some, do not lick from the minerals or not enough, so we have to supplement more.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
So far I have a tried Purina Wind and Rain and Purina Goat Mineral. I throw it in a bucket attached to the wall, they sniff and lick to satisfy their curiosity then THATS IT! I
Yep, just leave a cup or two of those out for them at all times. They will use as needed. Might not touch it for a long time then eat it all one week. Stir it up every few days and if it gets all junky then dump and refresh every couple weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts