The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here...Could anyone tell me the cut out size we would need in our mini barn for pygmies to get through? Can't seem to find any info online that is helpful. We don't want it to be more open than it needs to be. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have a flap gate in my fence that I let up and down when I want to let mine in and out to pasture to keep from having to open and close the big gate. I have pygmies and Nigerians and a couple mixed goats that are bigger. And the 3 ft x 3 ft works great for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great... That's what I needed. I didn't want it too big, but obviously big enough for them to always fit :) thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would you say that is on the bigger side or not? We are having the cut out put in side of barn and like I said we don't want bigger than needed but so that they fit. :) We won't have anything bigger than pygmies. ( I say that now ) lol

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
Mine's 1 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 ft for my full sized goats. Even my bigger boys can get through it with a little squatting. (they don't belong in there anyway)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Would you say that is on the bigger side or not? We are having the cut out put in side of barn and like I said we don't want bigger than needed but so that they fit. :) We won't have anything bigger than pygmies. ( I say that now ) lol
My fat pregnant pygmies are usually wider than they are tall so I wanted it a little bigger. You could definitely make it smaller if ya want. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
We made a "doggie door" for our mini barn which is only 1x1.5 ft and our two Pygmy six month old girls have plenty of room to get in and out. They are not pedigreed, so maybe they are not as wide as some pygmies? They might have trouble getting through if pregnant, but right now they can RUN through very easily with room to spare.

Our chicken door is about 10x10 inches and we had to block it off with wood strips like an X a little off center so the chickens can BARELY get in - just to keep our pygmies OUT of the chicken food!!! they can fit through amazingly small spaces.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Let me just say....we have a duck door that is 18inches square....I've seen all my goats go through it at one time or another. Nigi all the way up to a small Alpine. Where there is a will there is a way.

It all depends if you don't mind them lowering their heads/scooching or if you want them to walk through head up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks... This helps! We are not using this for us to go through. We will have another front access. So, using all of these, I'm thinking maybe 2x2.5 would be safe. Tall enough (no ducking) and wide enough for running (lol from above post) and no squeezing.
I love to hear the things these crazy goats do! Can't wait to get ours :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts