Mini goat and a belgian mare

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by StaceyRosado, Mar 21, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Does anyone know how well a mini goat would do with a small belgian mare?

Someone is interested in some goats my friend has for sale but seems only interested in one havent broached the 2 goat option yet. Just curious how a mini goat would do with a mare and if a buck or a doe is best.
  2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    In honesty, I dont think a mini would be good with a Belgium since it is a draft horse.

I am currently boarding a goat that was pen mates with a old horse, but the horse got moved and they need a temporary home - long story. But he is an Alpine.

My minis run with my quarter horse and my pain (15 hands each) but I am still very cautious with the small minis - as it can spook a horse pretty easy.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    As a friend for the mare?...horses and goats usually have a harder time bonding unless they have been raised together since birth. I have a bottle goat and a bottle calf that were raised together as babies and a year later they stil sleep and eat together.

Also, having the two together sounds a little risky to me. I don't put any of my horses in with the goats. If a horse spooks, it could kill a goat VERY easily by accidentely running it over. Even if it's a really quiet horse. Belgians are pretty heavy duty horses so I would fear that the mare might accidentely back over it etc. Goats aren't the smartest creatures. :roll: Very risky in my opinion.

I would let the person know your concerns, but if not, that's ok, you can always try it out. I do think if they want a goat for a companion then they should get a pair instead of a single goat.
  4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    last time i sold a goat as a companion to a horse it was actualy a pony and everyone said the same things about the goats not bonding with the horse, the last I spoke with the lady she said the pony really had bonded with the goats. I suggested two goats and she took me up on it so the goats would have eachother. Dont know if teh goats ever did bond with the pony though but it did have the desired effect.

The lady who owns Moo, Oreo and Buttons who are for sale is very knowledgable about horses and such so I put them in contact with one another and hopefully they can work something out or not with their combined knowledge.

I prefer to have large breed goats with larger horses too.
  5. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I really think it depends on the horse and the goat, I've known horses to kill goats. And I've known horses that really liked the goats. I have one nubian wether that seems to prefer the horses and spends all his time hanging out w/ them. He was in w/ a 12 hand pony and some minis (horses), but the pony started bullying them and got moved, now he's in w/ just the minis (one of which he's taller then).

If I was looking for a companion for a horse, especially anything over mini sized I'd look for full sized goats, I never really understood going w/ a mini goat for such a large animal, seems it would work better w/ a bigger goat.

And w/ the mare being a draft horse I'd especially advise going w/ a larger goat!
  6. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    My Cheyenne (Pygmy) used to wander the property and would go in with the horses. I have a half draft mare ( 16.2 hh) and three minis. The Draft horse did not hurt her, but if the mini stallion used to pick her up by the tail.

From my experience and the experiences I have read from others, it is really hit or miss. Some goats will eat the horses tails, some horses will chase and kick at the goat. And some end up being the best of friends. I guess I would just tell her that you would be willing to take the goat back if they didn't get along.
  7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Haviris...that is very true. It could definately depend on the mare's personality, age, etc. I have a three yo. filly that will chase and trample any small animal in her pen,,,dogs, cats, pigs, and i've got a yearling colt that could care less if the dogs go into the pen and sniff him and play in there.
  8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Stacey, Just from experience with about 8-10 people with goats and horses.

We have noticed that geldings do a LOT better then mares do. Do mares gat along? Sure but is seems like the geldings seem to bond and really take them in as their own, where mares seem to just "get along".
    Now does that mean all mares and geldings are like that NO of course not. But just with all the goats and horses I know that SEEMS to be the way I have seen it.

I have a Mare and a gelding with my goats. My mare puts up with them, but she would much rather not have to, but she does. Her first year here after we had babies, she freaked out when a baby got near her and she charged it, lucky we were there. She had just to get use to them, now she shares two large pens with her horse buddy and three bucks and one with very larger horns. She does not mind him at all as long as he does not try to use his horns on her, if he does she just turns around and kicks.
    I believe it is a love hate relationship.
  9. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Our bucks and weithers run with our mini horses and ponies. Our does are kept in a sperate pen due to the fact at this present time we are nto going to breed them. We are given they they year off.