The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Alpaca land
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a Nubian nigerian dwarf mix and now I only milk her once a day and I was wondering if anyone knew how much the average is they give a day, I usually get a quart and 3'4ths:crazy:

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was getting around a gallon a day from two milkings before my doe lost the use of half her udder. She is like 5th generation mini nubian, maybe farther from the original cross, I always forget which generation she is, lol.

Now I get a half gallon (two quarts) a day from two milkings. I have had people tell me the mini goats are just a novelty because they just don't produce enough milk to worthwhile (I think around a gallon a day on two milkings is plenty worthwhile!!!) so i suspect that there are some of them around that don't milk that much.

I would be happy with getting 1.75 qt a day for a single milking.

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
It depends on the goat, of course. Some mini's will give you 1/2 gallon per day (1 qt. per milking) and some average 1 gallon per day (2 qts per milking).

If you're only milking once a day her production is naturally going to be lower and 1.75 is pretty darn good. :)

·
Alpaca land
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow thanks, she is first gen. And I used to be milking her twice before I went back to school and now obviously once and she is completely off the kids:p

·
Registered
635 Posts
My two foundation F1 Mini-Toggenburg does have no trouble at all milking a gallon a day. Same for their daughters. These measures are for second freshening and beyond.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Generally goats produce more after more freshenings.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I was getting a bit worried. I am not getting that much..but all 3 does are first fresheners and still nursing babies, too.
Do you separate the kids from the mom at night? I do that with my kinder and she gives roughly 24oz in the am which was way better then the 12oz before I did this. I honestly can't wait for one of my standards to get bred.

·
Registered
ADGA Nigerian Dwarf Goats
300 Posts
Actually they are seperated during the day and we milk at night. I am starting to fully wean 2 of them now. so we'll see :0 I was getting 3/4 of a quart from 1 doe but then had to put her baby in with her at night again:/

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I get a quart a day from my full blooded Pygmy first freshener. Some people think that's a lot, and some people think it's not much, but I don't think many people milk actual Pygmies.

I'm getting a Mini Lamancha this weekend whose dam gives 3/4 a gallon a day with a kid on her, though. She's only a little bigger than my Pygmy, but as a dairy breed gives more than twice as much milk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts