Mini Horse not letting goats into barn/eat hay/eat food

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by carrotsnranch, Mar 4, 2020.

1. carrotsnranch

carrotsnranch Active Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Fuquay NC
    So back in January, I got a mini horse, she's super cute and super sweet, but now she's not letting my goats ANYWHERE near the hay. I'm not able to feed them outside anymore because she comes over and tries to kick or bite them to get them away. so in the barn they go, to eat! also of them! which also means no more free choice. some of my does do better on 'free choice' because I have a few who don't like to eat much at once, they prefer to snack multiple times a day. I've also got babies on the way. Of course I have another pen, but the shelter is broken, and it's much smaller pen, it's for a kid pen or an extra buck pen... so I don't know what to do! I really love her but wondering if I need to give her back??? Thoughts??? Ideas??? It would break my heart to have to get rid of her, but in this situation the goats are starting to lose weight and it's not going well so something has to change.....any advice you have because I need to do something ASAP! I'm so so torn it's so upsetting, I love horses!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

You either need a second pen or you need to jump in your truck and get her to me ASAP there's really nothing you could do to make her like goats. And my grandson would love a pony.

3. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Yeah, it sounds like you need to build a second pen. Horses/ponies are much easier to fence than goats so I'd suggest building the pen for the pony and leave the goats where they are now. Ponies are also much more resistant to cold and wet so the shelter is less important. Usually a tree or simple lean-to will suffice (I've kept horses with nothing but tree shelter for over 10 years).

In the meantime, I'd suggest putting the pony in the small pen by herself during feeding time. It sounds like she's mostly being protective of her food so you can probably let her with the goats the rest of the time if she's not bothering them. Good luck!

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

5. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Nail a board at pony's chest height across the shelter door, then free feed the hay for the goats inside the shelter. The goats will come & go as they please (they'll figure out a way under or over the board).

Or, build up a platform out in the pen with a hay rack on top that the goats jump up on the platform to eat.

6. carrotsnranch

carrotsnranch Active Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Fuquay NC
    Okay! I've put her into the buck pen (empty right now) for now. Maybe I can eventually expand it. but its a solution for the time being, and she's happy! Just munching on her hay. Love the idea about nailing a board, going to do that. Thank you all for your help!

SandyNubians and CBPitts like this.
  7. CBPitts

CBPitts Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Oregon
    We use a calf creep to keep the cows out of the goats stall in the cow barn. They have separate barns/feeders but they can share a larger pasture and the goats love to play at the cow barn. We also use t-posts driven in about 12” apart to keep cows out of the smaller goat pasture. Depending on the size of the mini horse it could work for you.

8. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    A line of posts.... SO SMART!

carrotsnranch likes this.
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Either get rid of her or separation.

carrotsnranch likes this.