The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have one? I had no idea they even existed until I saw a mini/standard heifer up for sale on craigslist so looked into them. I thought jerseys were about the most adorable cow until I saw the mini versions!

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I know ! I saw them too ! But the price was a bit steep for me , lol.
But they are adorable and I would love to have one or two one day.
I think they would eat us out of house and home though ;)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I saw the prices on them, a bit high just for something cute to look at in my field lol.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Of course there has to be a cheap little heifer calf on craigslist real close to me... why'd I have to look? Lol

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
If there is going to be another animal here its going to be a alpaca or a horse. And I'm leaning towards the alpaca , lolol.

Then probably a few more fowl ;)

But those minis are so stinkin cute !! I love those sweet liquid brown eyes :)

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like an alpaca too but I don't think my husband would go for that! He is sorta for the idea of a cow for a home milker, he said I can trade my mule:p

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I want a mini - any kind of cow! I grew up around cows and miss them but a full size one would just get eaten around here, I want a pet. Though, 8 goats might be enough "pet". My Mom keeps trying to talk me into a mini cow, I keep talking her out of it.

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
The mini cows are not just a field ornament they are for milking as well. If bred correctly they should produce just as well as their standard counterparts just adjusted to match their size. They tear the land up less, eat less and are easier to handle and contain than a larger cow and are perfect for homesteads because of it.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I got to show a steer in the round robin for 4H, he was the sweetest thing ever! I want a heifer now, or even a steer, lol.

·
2,203 Posts
I got to show a steer in the round robin for 4H, he was the sweetest thing ever! I want a heifer now, or even a steer, lol.
If you're looking into meat, check into freemartins from local dairies. I highly prefer their meat over any steer. Leaner, more tender, and better flavor in my opinion. We keep a proven freemartin each year for the freezer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts