The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some clarification on Mini's

Question #1 I have a doe- Her doe is a full Lamancha, & her sire is a Full Nigerian. That makes her an F1 correct?

Question #2-My F1 doe kidded a doe and a buck. their Sire is full Nigerian does make those babies F2?

Thank you for the help

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
The kids (and your doe) are F1, since the sire is a Nigerian Dwarf for both. The kids born by reproducing mini dairy goat breeds will always be 1 generation above the lowest parent, in this case, the Nigerian Dwarf sire.

As an exaggerated example: A F4 bred to a Nigerian Dwarf will produce F1 kids because the lowest goat of the foundation parents, is a Nigerian Dwarf.

To produce F2 offspring, both sire and dam need to be classified as at least F1. A F4 bred to a F1 results in F2 offspring (lowest parent is F1) and the same F4 (or higher) bred to another F4 produces F5 kids.

P.S Welcome to The Goat Spot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! Do they have to be exactly 50/50 to move on to a F2? I ask because I didn't really understand how this all worked and I bred Doe#1 that is F1- Mini Lamancha to a Full Nigerian so I know the doe #2 that she gave me is a an F1 because she is 25%lamancha and 75%nigerian. I'm trying to figure out if Doe #2 can ever give me an F2 or if her babies will always be F1's??

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
Doe #2 can't give you F2 babies because she is basically a Nigerian Dwarf cross/mix at 75% and 25% (a very slim F1 that possibly would not fully qualify as genetically pure F1 under mini breed standards). You could bred Doe #2 to a Lamancha buck for F1 Mini Lamancha kid(s) in order get Doe #2 offspring back towards 50/50. Those resulting kid(s) bred to a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha will give you F2 offspring. Approximately 2 1/2 years down the road or 2 generations out.

Only a F1 Mini Lamancha bred to a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha will give you F2 Mini Lamancha kids. If you were to breed the F1 Mini Lamancha Doe #1 to a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha buck, those kids would automatically be F2 Mini Lamancha.

As long as you breed back Doe #1 to a Nigerian Dwarf, you will be diluting, or breeding out, the Mini Lamancha blood line each time. Basically having to start from scratch with any resulting offspring to produce the mini breed again 2 generations later. Breeding Doe #2 back to a Nigerian Dwarf will result in only a higher % mix/cross of Nigerian Dwarf.

If you are wanting to only breed Mini Lamancha, replace the Nigerian Dwarf buck with a Mini Lamancha buck for Doe #1 and 2 generations later, pair Doe #2 grandchildren with a Mini Lamancha. Then you would have F2 offspring.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
Thank you so much for the help.
You are welcome. Wishing you luck with the Mini Lamancha adventure. If ever you have any more questions, or just want to share some of your experiences, please don't hesitate to post. This forum is one of the best sources for goat 101 and the majority of long term members are some of the most experienced goat owners you'll probably find anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Thank you! Do they have to be exactly 50/50 to move on to a F2? I ask because I didn't really understand how this all worked and I bred Doe#1 that is F1- Mini Lamancha to a Full Nigerian so I know the doe #2 that she gave me is a an F1 because she is 25%lamancha and 75%nigerian. I'm trying to figure out if Doe #2 can ever give me an F2 or if her babies will always be F1's??

If you breed doe 2 to an f1 or above mini mancha buck the kids will be f2. If you breed her to a nigi the kids will be f1 again.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Doe #2 can't give you F2 babies because she is basically a Nigerian Dwarf cross/mix at 75% and 25% (a very slim F1 that possibly would not fully qualify as genetically pure F1 under mini breed standards). You could bred Doe #2 to a Lamancha buck for F1 Mini Lamancha kid(s) in order get Doe #2 offspring back towards 50/50. Those resulting kid(s) bred to a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha will give you F2 offspring. Approximately 2 1/2 years down the road or 2 generations out.

Only a F1 Mini Lamancha bred to a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha will give you F2 Mini Lamancha kids. If you were to breed the F1 Mini Lamancha Doe #1 to a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha buck, those kids would automatically be F2 Mini Lamancha.

As long as you breed back Doe #1 to a Nigerian Dwarf, you will be diluting, or breeding out, the Mini Lamancha blood line each time. Basically having to start from scratch with any resulting offspring to produce the mini breed again 2 generations later. Breeding Doe #2 back to a Nigerian Dwarf will result in only a higher % mix/cross of Nigerian Dwarf.

If you are wanting to only breed Mini Lamancha, replace the Nigerian Dwarf buck with a Mini Lamancha buck for Doe #1 and 2 generations later, pair Doe #2 grandchildren with a Mini Lamancha. Then you would have F2 offspring.

You know how i love you right? Lol. But. The f1 doe can give f2 kids if she is bred to an f1 or higher gen mini mancha buck. ;). They are experimentals at this point but still minis.even if the doe were bred back to a nigi they are still f1 minis because of the dam being a mini. They would just most likely look more nigish though.

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
Love you back. That is great news to read, that the doeling (Doe #2) could produce F2 with 1st breeding using a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha buck, instead of the next generation. I now understand about lower level mini being considered experimental. My thoughts went more towards first breeding the Nigerian Dwarf out of the doeling (Doe #2) to keep the appearance of Lamancha more dominant. We both agree that a F1 or higher Mini Lamancha buck would be needed to continue the Mini blood line and produce F2 kids. Thanks for chiming in and letting @vickiowens know her doeling (Doe #2) could produce a F2 with the first breeding depending on the sire. She would be happy reading this news.

I apologize for speculating it would take 2 generations to breed the Nigerian Dwarf out of the doeling (Doe #2) to get back to a Mini Lamancha appearance before producing a kid that could be considered F2 mini Lamancha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts