Mini mix doe close to kidding... (Pic Heavy)

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Rogersfarm, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We dont have any idea of the conception date because we had buck and does together at that point when we first got started.

Her udder has come in nicely, very tight. My husband thinks it should be bigger, but we dont really know. When I checked her yesterday, it was very tight. This is her second freshioning that we know of. Could be more as we are the third owners.

Has been pawing at the ground for about a week or so. Biting at her sides as well.

Standing and laying and back up again every 5 seconds.

Checked for ligaments and found none. Extremely mushy. Can touch finger to finger around the head of the tail. That was yesterday. Also, she started biting and pulling on her teats yesterday as well.

Has had some discharge, but we have not seen the plug out yet. She seems to open up a bit, I guess you would say dialate, and then close back up the next time you look. We thought we saw what would be the start of the plug this morning, but she closed back up.

Seems to be very uncomfortable. But not in distress.

Any thoughts on how much longer and/or should be worried that the kid/kids are to big and not able to enter the birth canal?

This is Sophia
    [​IMG]

This pic shows the "dialation" that I was talking about. It has expanded even more than that at times.
    [​IMG]

Rear view
    [​IMG]

Rear and udder
    [​IMG]

Udder
    [​IMG]

Laying down.
    [​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You will see her udder getting a shine to it ...around the bottom area of the udder... and she should fill more and get really tight ..... Also... I see she is still up on her sides.....when she is closer to kidding.... it will disappear and she won't look as big as the kids.. will be moving into the birthing canal....
    With the ligs....that isn't... the right method... check out this link...Stacey shows you how.... :wink: :greengrin:

They do get sloppy in the vulva..... that is normal... later in pregnancy... :wink:
    and can start losing the plug a month or so before kidding.... She isn't quite ready.. but will be soon... :greengrin:

When did you 1st notice her udder was filling? It should be approximately 1 month... or a little more...after you first see the udder filling.... :greengrin:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12484

3. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I've already watched that video Stacey provided and that is exactly how I did it. Maybe you were confused because I said I found none. I know where the ligaments should be, but hers are not there. And my fingers were able to go all the way around the tail and come together just like what was said in that thread.

Also, Believe it or not, she has already dropped considerably. She looked like a pack mule up until this past week. The kids were way up high on her sides. Obviously when she lays down, it pushes them back up to the sides, but she is definitely carrying them lower while standing up now versus last week.

4. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Udder began filling around a month ago. Just got "tight" this last week.

5. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    I just read my first reply again, and I may have come off as rude. Sorry, as I did not intend it to sound that way. What I meant was maybe I was unclear in my first post about how I checked for ligaments.

6. DRJ Ranch

DRJ Ranch New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Anderson, California
    You said you had the bucks with them in the same pasture since you just started out. Did you ever seperate them bucks from them if so that would give you the latest possible delivery date.

how long did you have them in the same pen togther that could give you a range of dates to be looking at and do a rough estimate.

other then im not much help before this year I just watched and learned with my parents goats and most of the time the bucks and the does where always togther so they were always a ruff estimate on birth dates.

7. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    They are all seperate now, but have only been that way in the last few months. She was bred before that by quite a bit. When we got her September 1st, she was still semi in milk. She had a 6 month old doeling that would still occasionally grab some ninny. When we got her, that quit. We got her and our buck at the same time. The buckling was 4 months when we got him and didnt know anything about breeding. They started out much like mother and son. Didnt want to be seperated. By October, she started going into heat, and he started sniffing. In November sometime, she went into heat and they bred. Dont know exactly when. So obviously, it will be this month, I am just trying to figure out how close we are and I am pulling my hair out having to check on her every 10 minutes!

8. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    Even when I knew the breeding dates on my horse, I pulled my hair out. I think it is just a human reaction to waiting!

She is a beautiful doe! Can't wait to see her kids!

9. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    We will be sure and post pics if it ever happens! Still waiting today, though we both work during the day, so if she has them then, she is on her own. Hope everything goes well......

10. Rogersfarm

Rogersfarm Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Still watching and waiting today. She spends most of her time laying or standing with her face pressed against the wall. Still eating well and otherwise acting normal. Does not seem to be in distress.