Mini Mule at Livestock Guardian?

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by ariella42, Nov 24, 2014.

1. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    We want to get a non-dog livestock guardian and donkeys seem like the best option around here since they're pretty plentiful and relatively cheap. I found this guy on CL while searching for donkeys, and I love the way he looks! Before I get too into this, would a mini mule even make a good livestock guardian?
    http://greenville.craigslist.org/grd/4768798187.html

2. Catahoula

Catahoula New Member

Depending on what you want it to guard against and who it is guarding for. Some donkeys don't like goats or sheep. A mini one is not any bigger than a standard side meat goat so they themselves could be prey...depending on the predators. This is a mule...so not even sure it will guard. From the pictures, look like this mini mule is for companion to the pony.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

3. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    We have some coyotes and black bears around here. Where we are now, we only have problems with the occasional juvenile bear rummaging though trash and bird feeders or a lone coyote. I'm not sure how bad they are where we're moving. It's further south, but a bit further from neighbors. We just don't want a dog. I guess I'll keep looking for a standard size donkey.

4. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Yep, keep looking for a standard donkey. I don't know how well mules guard, but anything mini isn't going to be able to defend against much more than a fox.

5. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    This guy is actually closer to us, and has standard donkeys. I feel like we might be better off getting a young donkey (a donklette as my husband says) than a donkey who hasn't necessarily been around goats before. Is that a sound thought or should I expand my search?
    http://asheville.craigslist.org/grd/4747769746.html

6. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Love the different colors there! He says they are livestock guardians.... Have they been around goats before? If so, one of those should be fine. You might even look at one of the bred ones and then you'd have 2 donkeys

7. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    I'm going to call him tomorrow to ask about them. I don't want to disturb anyone's evening, but I think one of these could be great. My husband doesn't want to have a donkey here since we have relatively close neighbors, but we can board one with my aunt until we move (probably Jan. or Feb.).

8. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    You need one of my burros....they never bray. :tear: I love to hear donkeys bray. LOL

9. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    I'd love one. Just ship him over here :lol:

10. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    I adore my burros. That's something to consider too. I adopted them from the Bureau of Land Management and I know they have adoptions there in NC too. I don't worry about ANYTHING bothering my horses! Once my goats are out on pasture with the horses I won't worry about them either. And I have a mountain lion that wanders across my property at times....

11. J-TRanch

J-TRanch J-T.Ranch.Dairy.Goats

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    We have a miniature mule for our LG, he works fantastic! He hates all dogs, and guards the goat shed during the night. We had a llama and a donkey before, the miniature mule is the best!

12. J-TRanch

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    Many people do not think that miniatures can guard. But I have seen my miniature mule run off multiple coyotes. They work just as good, with more attitude. ;)

13. J-TRanch

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1416877335.505075.jpg

Here he is all furry for winter!

Owner/operator
    J-T Ranch Dairy Goats
    NW KS

14. ChrisM

ChrisM New Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Reading posts here make me glad the worst predator we have here is a coyote. Our miniature donkeys are plenty big enough to deal with a coyote. If a pack ganged up on them they'd have problems but I don't worry about them handling a single. Now if they'd just protect the chickens from raccoons....

15. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Did you pick out a donkey yet? I really think you need one of the bred ones! LOL Baby donkeys are the cutest!

Mules are not known for their guarding. There ARE exceptions, but they are rare. Miniatures should have the same instincts as the standards but they really can't handle a pack if it comes after them unless you have a herd of them. Standard donkeys are still the best at the job. And, like has been said before....not ALL donkeys will guard!

16. J-TRanch

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS

I'll respectfully disagree. All the mules I have seen have a great instinct, most better than donkeys.

And a standard cannot handle a whole pack either. Probably better than a mini, but they cannot handle a whole pack.
    If you're dealing with whole packs, then you best just sit out there with a rifle. Hehe.

Owner/operator
    J-T Ranch Dairy Goats
    NW KS

17. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    I contacted the guy with the 10 donkeys for sale. He has one who was raised around goats. She's bred and $250. Logistically, it will be difficult if we get her now though, since we can't keep her where we're currently living and don't have a good way of transporting a donkey. I'm still trying to convince my husband that she'd be a good buy (and yes, I want a cute baby donkey!). If we don't get her, though, I guess we'll look more after we move.

18. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Would he hold her until you got moved?

19. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    No, I asked, but I think he's just trying to clear them out as soon as he can. I could probably leave her at my aunt's horse farm for the price of some hay, but then we'd have to arrange transportation for her twice.

20. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    I wish we had a trailer or even a truck capable of hauling one!