Mini Mule at Livestock Guardian?

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by ariella42, Nov 24, 2014.

1. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Oh that's too bad. Well maybe he'll still have her when you're ready or there will be a better deal come up

2. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC

3. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    It will. You can even keep an eye out for the BLM adoptions and adopt a burro thru them. I absolutely adore my burro boys. You can get a young one so it's not too bad to break to halter.

4. J-TRanch

J-TRanch J-T.Ranch.Dairy.Goats

Jan 31, 2014
    Clayton, KS
    Make sure you post pictures! I cannot wait until my pony has another mule baby hit the ground. SO exciting!

5. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    You can google bureau of land management and see when and where their adoptions are. Some times they have auctions and those can get pretty pricey. If they just hold an adoption event, it's $130 to adopt. We got our burro boys at 3years old and they haven't been too bad. The worst part is that when you just outright adopt them like that....they usually have never even had a halter on. But you can take a halter (or they have ones for sale there at a fair price....not overpriced usually) and they will halter them for you before loading. You can often find yearlings there too and those would be easier to work with. We don't do anything with our guys really. One of them, the kids can jump on and sit on and he's been that way since day one. The other is a little wilder....he was a kicker when we got him!

6. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    I just looked, and there's one that's only about an hour away in April!

7. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    I'll post some pics of my burro boys if you want...I have several LOL

8. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    I'd love to see them!

9. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
  10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Some donkeys and mules can make great guardians, but not all of them will. In fact, some will go after the goats. I don't think getting a wild burro for your first one would be ideal. Wild burros are a handful and really should go to someone experienced. Sometimes they do have "gentled" burros available though. Get something tame and easy to be around. The price may be low, but the purchase price is truly the lowest part of owning one. You have to keep in mind that a donkey, just like a goat will need regular care. Hooves should be trimmed regularly, deworming, teeth should be floated as needed, etc. They're a big commitment.

11. ariella42

ariella42 New Member

May 22, 2014
    Saluda, NC
    I used to own horses, so I expect the basic upkeep costs to be pretty similar (plus the cost of any emergencies). I do realize that getting a wild burro could be more than I bargain for, but the auction said that both trained and untrained burros and horses will be available. I'd prefer to get a young one with some training, but if I can't find one, I'll just keep looking. In all honesty, I'd prefer to get one (preferably the bred one who had been around goats if she's still available) soon after we move, which will probably be in February. I want to go to the adoption regardless just because it's so close and if I do find one that fits my herd and needs, it would be great. Plus, I might convince my husband that it's a great time to get another horse :lol: