The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new muni nubian, I just purchased. Am told she is going to kid in 2-6 weeks. She seems thin to me. I am very inexperienced. I have 2 nigerian dwarfs, but they have only been with me since spring, and are my first goats.
Do you all think she look healthy?
20190813_120654.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
This is my new muni nubian, I just purchased. Am told she is going to kid in 2-6 weeks. She seems thin to me. I am very inexperienced. I have 2 nigerian dwarfs, but they have only been with me since spring, and are my first goats.
Do you all think she look healthy? View attachment 161119
Has she started makin any kind of udder? Can you get a better pic from over top of her so we can see her sides better?

She is not horribly thin... she is just very dairy to me. Her ribs are not showin really there is fleshin over them. Her hip bones are showin more than i would like to see in mine but then again that is a bit normal for a young dairy mini sometimes.... esp if they have not been grained. She looks like she was well taken care of.

My cricket is in milk and gifts me almost a gallon a day.... her hips are like yours. And i cannot get her to put more weight on them. Has your lil lady ever had any grain or was she just hayed, pastured and foraged? That can make a difference in how they carry weight. Yours to me looks like no grain or that she got very little.

My Dora as a ff did not look very pregnant and she had twins in there. She only had the eeniest of bellies even the day she kidded. You could have knocked us over with a feather when i bumped her and felt another kid in there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do feel like she's gotten thinner since being with me.(this is her 4th day with me)
20190813_145258.jpg
I give her 1 cup pellets and free choice hay. I have baking soda and lose minerals out free choice, and forage.

previous owner said she fed her
"Goat pellets, hay, sunflower seeds, trace mineral sprinkled over food.they also have a mineral block with selenium."

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,460 Posts
Well she’s probably mineral deficient from the previous owner.

But doesn’t look terribly mineral deficient from what I see.

Please check FAMACHAs and get back to us.

Don’t feed baking soda.

Take her rectal temperature.

What kind of hay?

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
I do feel like she's gotten thinner since being with me.(this is her 4th day with me) View attachment 161143 I give her 1 cup pellets and free choice hay. I have baking soda and lose minerals out free choice, and forage.

previous owner said she fed her
"Goat pellets, hay, sunflower seeds, trace mineral sprinkled over food.they also have a mineral block with selenium."
Losin a bit of weight at first is normal. Goats do not like change and she has had a big one. Give her time and patience. Her eye looks really nice. I think she looks ok for a young mini nubian. I am just not so sure of the bein bred part. How old is she? And i might have missed it but has she started makin an udder at all? Six weeks out is when most ff start theirs but some are different. I am guessin by the way she looks that is would be a ff.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
I was guessing she was an FF too. All mine started filling within a day or two of kidding, so there's quite a range.
Filling a noticable difference in the last few days yes most def. but usually you can tell minor differences in a ff udder before that. Most of the time. They get these cute lil pooch things goin on. :). At first you are like is that really there or am i jus wantin see things. Lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Losin a bit of weight at first is normal. Goats do not like change and she has had a big one. Give her time and patience. Her eye looks really nice. I think she looks ok for a young mini nubian. I am just not so sure of the bein bred part. How old is she? And i might have missed it but has she started makin an udder at all? Six weeks out is when most ff start theirs but some are different. I am guessin by the way she looks that is would be a ff.
she was born 3/15
20190813_154024.jpg

·
Fair-Haven
4,809 Posts
I would increase her intake a bit to put some weight on her , beet pulp works well for me. Keep an eye on udder development, that will tell you more. I don't like that I can see her ribs and her vertrabrae is very prominent. I would also give replamin or another source of selenium in preparation for kidding.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Yea. For a four year old she does look a bit on the thin side. She looks like a gangly teenager to me right now. More groceries. :). Beet pulp and calf manna are helpful for puttin on weight. But introduce slowly to her. Her poop might change a bit so be careful. I tried givin crickie calf manna and her poop told me no. She was only gettin a small handfull. So beet it is for her.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea. For a four year old she does look a bit on the thin side. She looks like a gangly teenager to me right now. More groceries. :). Beet pulp and calf manna are helpful for puttin on weight. But introduce slowly to her. Her poop might change a bit so be careful. I tried givin crickie calf manna and her poop told me no. She was only gettin a small handfull. So beet it is for her.
Thank you. Can I make beet pulp out of my beets from garden? It is this something, I need to buy?

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
Thank you. Can I make beet pulp out of my beets from garden? It is this something, I need to buy?
It is pretty inexpensive in the store. I am not sure if just garden beets would be good or not good for them. If she is only gettin one cup of grain a day. You can try increasin that first.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Garden beets are different from the sugar beets they make beet pulp out of.

Beet pulp is made from what is left over after all the sugar has been removed from the sugar beets. They shred and dry the beets. The ones grown for eating are not the same thing.

Reactions: Kelly-Mae Clampett
1 - 20 of 24 Posts