Mini Nubian Buckling breeding

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by Tesa, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Tesa

Tesa New Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Washington state
    Hello
    I’m new to the group and fairly new to goat breeding. I just bought a mini Nubian buckling. A buck that I have been looking for for over a year. My plan was to breed him to my Nigerian does, but now I am worried about size difference and hurting my does. Thank you all in advance for any help you can offer me.
    The question:
    How big is too big? What is an acceptable size difference, buck vs doe?

2. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

What size kids did his sire throw? What gen is he? How old is he and how big is he? Breeding a mini to a nigi is tricksy business... it can go well or badly. Yes his size does play a role but more importantly is kid size...

Tesa likes this.

3. Tesa

Tesa New Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Washington state
    Right now he is only a week old, so I can’t tell much by his size currently. He is an F7 I believe, his parents are big. I’ll have to ask the breeder about weights. He was a triplet and weighs 9lbs 10 ounces. I’m afraid that in my excitement I may have made a wrong decision.

4. Tesa

Tesa New Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Washington state
    Thank you for your input.
    Also my Nigerian twins weigh exactly the same at 3 weeks.

5. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    If the parents are big then he may not be an f7... when they hit f6 they are pure bred and should be well in mini standards. But yes the minis may look big compared to a nigi. If you are new to goats i would not put him over a nigi. Too much can go wrong just from inexperience.

You will also need to keep him away from the does when he starts showing his red rocket in public. So he needs a buddy when that happens.

6. Tesa

Tesa New Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Washington state
    We’ve had Nigerians about three years now. Fortunately we have had no kidding issues in that time. I am experienced with helping puppies of all sizes but all my goat knowledge is based off of reading and the last three easy years. I do have a Nigerian buck that he could possibly be kept with when the time comes and the ability to keep him separate from my does. his paperwork says he is f3, sire is f7, dam is f2. The mini Nubians that I have seen before were much smaller than this breeders. So when I got there I was shocked at the size of the adult goats. But then I was dazzled by the beautiful babies and didn’t stop to think long enough.

7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Ah ok. Nope i would not put him over a nigi at all then. I have never seen a small f3. Even if his sire throws small kids he is going to be a much larger goat more than likely. And if the breeder knew you only had nigis shame on them for not explaining all of this to you!

8. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Have your does ever kidded before? I had an ND doe breed with a full Nubian buckling by accident and she kidded twin doelings fine. I would think you could breed him with your girls as long as they have kidded before.

Tesa likes this.
  9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    At over nine pounds and a week old - that is more standard size than mini. I would not tempt fate.

Tesa and Sfgwife like this.
  10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Amen!

Tesa likes this.