The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have two young twin does (Mini Nubians) that I’d love for a more experienced goat keeper to look at. I need some conformation-related advice.

I DEFINITELY have a favorite and am leaning towards keeping and breeding her, but my favoritism is based mostly on personality and she-just-has-a-face-that-I-really-like. Lol. So I’d love for you guys to compare them just based on their conformation and tell me what you think.

I will put pictures of one in one comment and pictures of the other in another comment (I’m not sure how to separate them if I try to add them here). I know very little about what makes a sturdy, healthy goat, so any advice or information is welcome!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And here are photos of Suki. I don’t think I’m very good at taking pictures of goats. Sorry. Lol. They don’t stand still very much.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Can you retake pictures of both so the are on level ground and the photo is level with their height. Be careful of shadows

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get front, side, nose and from behind views if you can.

Also. Are they always that rusty color? They may need some copper.
They have been this color since they were born. Their dad was solid black and their mom is brown, so I think it's just how they look - I did give all my goats copper boluses in February too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
F61A15CA-6D35-4859-9085-9D1836E24394.jpeg
B328B10D-CECD-4FA2-B4E4-EAB8161B918A.jpeg
DA42DC2A-BB83-477C-9D8C-CFBBC9320AD5.jpeg
9B8B7C39-BEAD-4FBE-964D-751B67DA15D4.jpeg
Better pics of the second. Thanks for telling me how to get better pics for conformation! I'm pretty new to goats still and I've never done this before.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Overall i like the second better than the first.
Oh, yay! She's my favorite - and has been since she was like half a day old, lol! Such a sweetheart and so curious and playful, right from the beginning. What do you think I should look for in a buck for her? I don't know much about what makes a sturdy healthy goat. Is there a good website you can recommend I read for conformation stuff?

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Oh, yay! She's my favorite - and has been since she was like half a day old, lol! Such a sweetheart and so curious and playful, right from the beginning. What do you think I should look for in a buck for her? I don't know much about what makes a sturdy healthy goat. Is there a good website you can recommend I read for conformation stuff?
I put up a bunch of pics i got from fb on conformation in this post.

https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/trying-to-learn-more-about-conformation.212161/#post-2371213

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm no expert at conformation. But, I am a rump girl. Lol. Both of those goats have steep rumps so if it were me and I definitely wanted to keep one, I would be looking for a buck that is really super level. Make sure you look back at his dam, sire, and granddams if possible. The other thing I always look at is udder attachments when I'm looking for a buck.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The First
Pros:
Correctness on feet and legs
Depth in barrel
Depth of chest/brisket
Width of rump
Tightness of shoulders

Cons
Steepness in rump
Narrow bodied
Her back end being higher than her front could be do to her still growing into herself

Shes a nice doe with a lot of potential

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
The second
Pros
Width of chest
Smoothness of blending from withers to hips
Depth of barrel and chest floor
Width of rump

Cons
Steepness of rump
Narrow in escutcheon
I would like to see more length of body

Overall I do agree she is the better doe. I would like to see you breed either to a wider more correct buck

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The second
Pros
Width of chest
Smoothness of blending from withers to hips
Depth of barrel and chest floor
Width of rump

Cons
Steepness of rump
Narrow in escutcheon
I would like to see more length of body

Overall I do agree she is the better doe. I would like to see you breed either to a wider more correct buck
Wonderful! I appreciate this so much. So I should look for a buck with a not-steep rump and maybe taller in the front? I will have to look up what an escutcheon is, heh.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm no expert at conformation. But, I am a rump girl. Lol. Both of those goats have steep rumps so if it were me and I definitely wanted to keep one, I would be looking for a buck that is really super level. Make sure you look back at his dam, sire, and granddams if possible. The other thing I always look at is udder attachments when I'm looking for a buck.
Great! Thank you so much for the advice. Thanks again to everyone else too. I really appreciate you guys so much. I'm learning tons here. This forum is wonderful.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts