Mini nubian milkers

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kannm, Jun 3, 2009.

1. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Does anyone here use mini nubians for milk? If so, are they good producers?

2. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Eliya on here is the expert, hopefully she will chime in. From what I've heard though, they produce very well.

3. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Eliya isn't the only one that has Mini-Nubian milkers here. I got almost a gallon of milk from one of our Mini-Nubian does, she gave 2 qts. of milk from each teat, morning and evening!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yes, there are a few people on here that have mini nubians :thumb:

My understanding is that they can produce pretty close if not the same as a nubian but are smaller, requiring less feed. However, I am not for certain - as I have never owned one :wink:

5. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Allison,

You are correct.

6. eliya

eliya New Member

Thanks Besh. :)

Sorry I haven't been on here much (too busy!) so I didn't see this until now.

I milk about 10-14 MiniNubian does each year. The production varies from doe to doe and depends on number of lactations and stage of lactation. My does average at about 5-6 lbs a day (about 3/4ths of a gallon). Some of my best milkers give almost a gallon a day (8 lbs). The first fresheners of course give less while the more experienced does tend to give more. Also size varies a lot in the breed - a smaller doe may give less than a larger doe (not always though!).

7. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    This is interesting. I wonder if we should do this with our nubian does. I think the preg would be easier on them because of smaller babies. We have two nubians and can't expand our herd now that we have deed restrictions -- boy that really sucks!! But, if the pregs were easier and if we could be doing a service to people interested in starting mini nubian mixes.

8. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Can I ask, what state are you in? Are you in the Northeast?

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    We are about to be. (Kannm is my wife). We will be in NE Pa on or around July 20th.

10. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

May 30, 2009
    I love my Mini's, they produce between 6 and 8 lbs a day. Waiting for kids in late Aug. :clap: .