The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fair-Haven
4,732 Posts
Mini nubians are a cross between nigerian dwarfs and Nubian. Both breeds are good for milking - depends on what you are after. There is a big difference between F1 (first generation crosses) and F5. I would talk to a reputable (someone who has been doing this a long time) to see if what they say fits your needs and expectations. Not sure what you mean by efficient - that has a different context according to your needs.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mini nubians are a cross between nigerian dwarfs and Nubian. Both breeds are good for milking - depends on what you are after. There is a big difference between F1 (first generation crosses) and F5. I would talk to a reputable (someone who has been doing this a long time) to see if what they say fits your needs and expectations. Not sure what you mean by efficient - that has a different context according to your needs.
What is the difference between a f1 and f5?

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
What is the difference between a f1 and f5?
F1 is a lower gen so they will usually be almost the size of a full nubian. F5 should be a goat that is only slightLy larger than a nigi. Is the big differences usually. Some will have those wonderful airplane ears that just make you laugh while others will have beautiful long nubian ears. Lol!

higher gen minis give close to a full sized nubian milk volume without the size of a full sized nubian. Usually. And they usually keep that yummy cream and butterfat from the nubs as well.

What else are you wantin to know specifically about minis so we can try give better answers to your questions?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
F1 is a lower gen so they will usually be almost the size of a full nubian. F5 should be a goat that is only slightLy larger than a nigi. Is the big differences usually. Some will have those wonderful airplane ears that just make you laugh while others will have beautiful long nubian ears. Lol!

higher gen minis give close to a full sized nubian milk volume without the size of a full sized nubian. Usually. And they usually keep that yummy cream and butterfat from the nubs as well.

What else are you wantin to know specifically about minis so we can try give better answers to your questions?
So an f1 is breeding a nigi to a nubian.
Then you breed a mini-nubian f1 to a mini-nubian f1and the babies are f2's?

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Thank you, that explained it.
Lol. I figured it would be better than what i had typed out for you. This year... i have a nigi doe and an f4 mini buck. I put him over her because he is small. She is a third freshener with no kiddin issues in the past so i went for it. Plus his kids were small as well. So i was not so very afraid of puttin him over her. But had she been a ff nigi nope would not have done that. So it can go the other way but any larger buck i would not have even tried period. I have an f5 buck here as well and even though he throws small kids he is too heavy for her to hold up ever. So with my combo i got f1 mini kids from my doe and buck. I used the same buck for my f5 mini doe and those kids are f5.

My new mini doe that came here this week is in milk. I get about three quarts a day from her with twice a day and she is four months fresh. So next year when she freshens and at two weeks when i start milkin her i expect to get close to this once a day most likely. When looking for your does and bucks... look at what their dams gifted in milk not just the goat themselves. If you want milk.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
And that will give you more cream because??? Do cream separators actually work pretty good?
A cream separater is basically a centrifuge. It spins like crazy and skim milk will go out one place while the cream goes out the other. Goat milk is naturally homoginized where cow milk is not..... that is why you get so much cream on the top of cow milk and not goat milk. The cow cream will rise to the top in a short time... like hours. Some goat milk will separate but you will get much much more cream from a separator. I have not used one but there are a lot of people tho are happy with the results of using one.

If i let my mini nubian milk sit for four days in the fridge i might get half an inch.. an inch if i am really lucky of cream at the top of a half a gallon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts