The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In august we got a baby goat from some old farmer who needed to sell his animals. He told us she's a mini pygmy goat. We have two other goats that are regular pygmy goats and she is definitely mini compared to them. However when I search "mini pygmy goats" not much info shows up. Does anyone know anything about this breed?

·
Super Moderator
59,229 Posts
I don't believe that it is an official breed. Either she may have been stunted by coccidia or he was just trying to breed for smaller goats.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree with Karen. I'd be weary of getting a 'mini Pygmy goat' because she could have been stunted by Cocci and the breeder is trying to sell her as a mini pygmy. Be careful if you have plans to breed her, if she is small or stunted there could be kidding problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think she was stunted by anything. All of his goats were small. It was kind of amusing how small they all were. He had one small male and a bunch of small females. I guess he just bred them small.

·
558 Posts
Do you have pictures to share??

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
There is no breed called mini pygmy. There are just pygmy goats. Small size can be due to worms or cocci stunting, inbreeding, or lack of good diet, though some are actually just small, but generally super small size in goats is due from a health issue.

·
Registered
637 Posts
There is no breed called mini pygmy. There are just pygmy goats. Small size can be due to worms or cocci stunting, inbreeding, or lack of good diet, though some are actually just small, but generally super small size in goats is due from a health issue.
No no I do understand that but wanna see anyway, ha out of curiousity....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts