Miniature Cattle

Discussion in 'Other Animals For Sale' started by 7acreranch, Apr 14, 2010.

1. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Does anyone have experience with miniature cattle such as Zebu. My youngest is interested in getting a heifer. Also if you know a breeder in OK/AR let me know

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been doing alot of research on them because I was thinking about getting them. Watch for the ones that are IMZA pure. The "miniatureized" version has a tendancy towards health problems. Pure will be plane colored grey, red, black, with the exception of very few red splash. The traditional size is under 42 inches. Ideal size IMO is around 36-39. This avoids all the health problems that comes along with miniaturizing them. They are a naturally occuring breed that wasn't miniaturized by man. They are so small because they originated on an island (info from a breeder). I was also informed by said breeder to try the meat from one before I decided to get them to raise for meat because they have a specific kind of taste. There are also people out there who milk the cows.

3. whatknott

whatknott Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have a miniature zebu heifer (4 years old and never bred). The breed is a little more flighty than your dairy breeds so make sure you get one that you bottlefeed or can bottlefeed yourselves - especially if it's to be around children. I don't know what breeders are in your area but I'm sure the internet will help you with that.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mini sirloin burgers .... sorry - had to "sing" the song .... BAHAHAHAHAHA

5. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Have you seen the mini rodeo cattle? Hubby wants some mini longhorns. (He wants to be a short Jon Whanye) He's Asian and that's how he says it. :laugh: You should here him say hell. Almost wet myself the first time he said it. Never a dull moment around here. :greengrin:

Gina

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I was previously married to a Turk, and yes - certain words with an accent are absolutely HILARIOUS!

7. foot

foot New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    ..I have some..!! :)

8. Randi

Randi New Member

Apr 22, 2011
    Calvert County, MD
    Where are you located, foot?

9. foot

foot New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    .. I am In Hilliard (Nassau County )..

10. foot

foot New Member

Jul 17, 2008
    hello
    The Avatar is "HARRY" he is a 4 year old Mini Zebu Bull. He has thus far sired two sweet heifers for us. He is 31 inches tall and has never had any health issues. He is sweet as pie too. He wanders about with dogs, chickens, cows and goats of all ages and harasses no one ever. We also have four cows. Three are bred at present time and one may be bred but still has her 4 month old heifer on her. I can tell you these Mini Zebu are easy keepers. Way easier than goats for sure. They are very healthy and we have not had to cut grass here in four years. They cut the grass, weed wack and fertilize all in one swoop. And they eat the hay that the goats try to waste. They also love the heat here in Florida. They calf without loosing a minute of grazing time. And do not need their hooves trimmed. They are not prone to parasites and dont even mind the rain. We have not milked or eaten them so we can not speak for that. But we can tell you they are halter and lead broke and very gentle animals. Even our vet was impressed with them.

..foot..