Minimum Wage Question

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by StaceyRosado, May 10, 2009.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Right now I make MW plus tips and my hourly rate can go up if productivity is high so I can make more then MW if we are busy.

Anyway in NJ the Minimum wage currently is 7.15 but I just went on line and it says effective July 24, 2009 MW is going up to 7.25.

I have a very stingy boss who is the owner so I worry that he wont want to give me the new MW.

Since I work for tips but he doesnt report them......he MUST give me at least MW correct?

2. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Yes, he has to pay you what the minimum wage will be. Too bad he won't give you a raise too :wink:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Stacey........it is the law ............he has to pay you minimum salary rates.....no matter... if he likes it or not.....make sure it is........ on your paycheck.......that he is paying you.....He can get into alot of trouble..... if he does not...... :hug:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As Pam said, it is the law, regardless of how stingy he is, he has to pay minimum wage....now if you were working as a waitress and got less than 30 hours a month then the boss can pay you half minimum wage and you claim a percentage of your tips.

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am not a waitress but I do work less then 30 hours a week

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yup, you should get it.

Stacey, it looks like Liz said less than 30 a month, not week.. just to clear that up if you misread.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thanks :doh: I wasnt paying attention very closely obviously

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    I don't know if you work for franchise or "small business" type employer, there are exemptions to the law. And, they may be different in your state. But, I'd guess if they pay you the minimum now, they'd give you the raise, not that .10 an hour is going to make much difference.

I'd be careful mentioning the tips...you are required to keep track and declare tips in most cases and if you don't you may be in trouble...if they ever audit you. Not usual, I know, but a few years ago they did just that with waitresses/waiters, that were under-reporting tips. I never want any "red flags" on my return, IRS audits are bad, bad, bad. If you don't keep track and declare and they do audit you they could just "estimate" how much you "should" have gotten and that might not be in your favor. :roll: