The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Minnie the LaMancha. She's usually our herd queen and is full of mischief. But she's not feeling well today. At chore time (7:30-ish) she wouldn't touch her grain and only lipped her hay.

Temp was 100.8. No rumen sounds. She's not visibly bloated, but her left side is hard as a rock. I gave her some probios and decided to check her again in a couple hours.

I just came in from that check. She's still the same, even her temp is exactly the same. I massaged her left side, gave more probios and gave her a shot of 6cc B-complex. Sending hubby out for dark beer.

Please remind me how much and how often to drench her. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts

·
Goat Crazy!
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just went out. Temp was down to 99.9. I warmed the beer to about abby bottle temp (Just put the can in warm water) and gave her about 7-8 ounces. She did not like it. AT ALL. But (oh happy dance) we got rumen sounds in a matter of minutes AND she's now eating hay.

Gonna check on her again in an hour or so to see if her temp is coming up.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I usually do my does, a 1/2 can of beer drench; twice in one day. Then the nextday give them probios.
Yeah, I 'll probably dose her again later today, even if she seems to be on the upswing. I'll definitely give her more probios tomorrow!

·
Goat Crazy!
6,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to hear! Sorry I missed this thread - for the future, room temp beer, 4-6 oz (4 is ok for mini's) 2x a day until temp goes back up!

Cayenne will also help start the rumen. Vitamin B Complex injectable is always good as well.
I did give her the B-Complex near the beginning. A good goat friend told I can try banamine too next time because relieving some of the pain helps them relax and makes recovery quicker. I did NOT know that about cayenne. Good to know!!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts