Minnie is Feeling Puny

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by groovyoldlady, Nov 23, 2020.

1. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Poor Minnie the LaMancha. She's usually our herd queen and is full of mischief. But she's not feeling well today. At chore time (7:30-ish) she wouldn't touch her grain and only lipped her hay.

Temp was 100.8. No rumen sounds. She's not visibly bloated, but her left side is hard as a rock. I gave her some probios and decided to check her again in a couple hours.

I just came in from that check. She's still the same, even her temp is exactly the same. I massaged her left side, gave more probios and gave her a shot of 6cc B-complex. Sending hubby out for dark beer.

Please remind me how much and how often to drench her. Thanks!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Oh Minny. Come on girl you need to perk up a bit

3. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
  4. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
  5. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I just went out. Temp was down to 99.9. I warmed the beer to about abby bottle temp (Just put the can in warm water) and gave her about 7-8 ounces. She did not like it. AT ALL. But (oh happy dance) we got rumen sounds in a matter of minutes AND she's now eating hay.

Gonna check on her again in an hour or so to see if her temp is coming up.

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I usually do my does, a 1/2 can of beer drench; twice in one day. Then the nextday give them probios.

MadHouse and groovyoldlady like this.
  7. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Yeah, I 'll probably dose her again later today, even if she seems to be on the upswing. I'll definitely give her more probios tomorrow!

8. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
  9. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    Update: Minnie is feeling 100% this morning. She met me at the gate and was her usual, bossy, I'm-in-charge self! We'll still keep up the probios and keep an eye on her, but Hallelujah!

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

11. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

So glad she is back to normal!! Hooray for beer!

12. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Thankyou for telling us of your GREAT NEWS! YAY FOR DARK BEER! (clap):love:

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Glad to hear! Sorry I missed this thread - for the future, room temp beer, 4-6 oz (4 is ok for mini's) 2x a day until temp goes back up!

Cayenne will also help start the rumen. Vitamin B Complex injectable is always good as well.

MadHouse and groovyoldlady like this.
  14. groovyoldlady

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I did give her the B-Complex near the beginning. A good goat friend told I can try banamine too next time because relieving some of the pain helps them relax and makes recovery quicker. I did NOT know that about cayenne. Good to know!!!!!