minuets placenta still has not passed

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    She gave birth yesterday and it still has not passed, I dont like it when they go this long without passing it. I gave her a shot of oxytocin and she is having good contractions, If that dosent work what should I do??

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would call a vet if that dosen't work. Are you sure there weren't anymore kids in there?

3. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    She may have passed it during the night. My goats eat the placenta if I'm not there to put it in a garbage sack.

4. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    No she still has a big ol glob of it hanging out. It looks like it is longer so I think it is just taking its sweet time coming out, her temp is norm, eating drinking pooping and peeing is all normal. Milk hasent come in yet so I am gonna give her some red raspberry leaves which should help with the placenta as well. Any other thoughts?

5. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I think by what you said she should be fine....as long as she continues to make progress.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oo I wouldnt know but i hope the shot works soon. If not then you might want to make a call into the vet for advise

7. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    ok well it passed, it was certainly a pathetic looking placenta. Ok here is what happened. She started passing it yesterday after she gave birth and a whole bunch was hanging out, well she had chewed a bunch of it off :sick: and since the weight was not there half of it kinda got left behind, so it took a while for it to come out. But it came out and she is perfectly fine. I am waiting for her milk to really come in, she dosent have much so I went and got goat colostrum and have been supplementing them. But they are healthy and happy. And the little girl is doing GREAT, I have her on the bottle, sleeping in a laundry basket next to my bed :roll: and getting fed all through out the night. well thanks all for your help!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats great news!