The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Newbie goat lover here!! I have 3 does that we predict are due to kid in about 6 weeks (didn't mean for them all to kid around the same time but I've heard that's how it works in the goat world!). 2 are first timers. One of the first timers has been acting "off" this week. Earlier this week she would smell her pee and then curl up her lip. I've googled and gotten mixed reviews on what that could mean. Last night she was really talkative, but continued to eat. This morning she was EXTREMELY talkative and stayed on our heels as we were walking around. She had a brownish discharge come out (I will attach a picture), then after that all the discharge has been more clear. It is pretty liquid-y, not thick/sticky. She is crying a lot, but other than that acting normal. For a while she would not eat, but she is back eating again. She does not look dilated or puffy, has 0 milk production (she's a Nigerian so I would think she should have a lot). Worried that this could be a miscarriage? Or possible signs of labor? Any experienced people out there know what's happening?!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I havent seen brown in mine but heat affects every doe a little differently. Or it could be something I missed.
Not saying that its heat but I would rule it out

·
Goat Crazy!
6,460 Posts
My gut is saying miscarriage, but I've never had a goat have one yet. So I'm FAR from an expert. Normal birth fluids don't really have much of a smell. Do you have a vet or a nearby experienced goat mentor you can call?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My gut is saying miscarriage, but I've never had a goat have one yet. So I'm FAR from an expert. Normal birth fluids don't really have much of a smell. Do you have a vet or a nearby experienced goat mentor you can call?
Yes, we have a local extension agent coming tomorrow to do an ultrasound. And a vet on stand by.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don’t think it’s heat. Every 5-10 minutes she is not stretching her back up (like a cat does when pet), then laying down. Then she looks like she’s pushing/straining...her back legs straighten out and she rolls on her side

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright. Shortly after my last post she had a contraction and started pushing. We got the kid out (was breech) and not full term so naturally it was aborted . She is pregnant with multiples...will all be aborted or is there a chance she can carry to term?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sounds like she is aborting. :(

Does anyone know how big a 2 month goat fetus is?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Oops, I didn't see your last post... I'm SO sorry. There is a chance that she will carry the other kid(s) to term, but it is slim.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sorry for the multiple posts, but how big was the kid? And how do you know she is/was carrying multiples?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry for the multiple posts, but how big was the kid? And how do you know she is/was carrying multiples?
We had an ultrasound back in October and saw 2-3 kids. So I know there's at least 1 more. It was about the size of a baseball if balled up. It is a Nigerian dwarf so would be smaller than a standard size

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a picture. Best guesstimate on age is 15-16 weeks with 5-6 to go.

It has been an hour and a half since this guy came out. She is eating and drinking and acting normal. All discharge has stopped. Maybe the other(s) will make itfull term? Going to be checking on her all night! Of course I can’t sleep now!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts