miscarriage

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by rgbdab, Dec 22, 2008.

1. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    When I went to feed tonight, one of my FF due in Feb had blood on her backside with goo hanging as might be seen at kidding. I assume she is miscarrying but this is my first experience with one and wondered if there is anything that I need to do for her? I separated her from the herd and put her with her best buddy in a kidding pen with lots of hay and warm molasses water.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Look for a fetus, that far along there would be one you could see. I would bag it and all the stuff around it. You don't want the other goats in it if this abortion was caused by something infectious, but it may just be that she was head butted. Offer her some molasses water as well to keep her strength up.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I totally agree with Ashley.

You need to look around for the fetus and check her really well. Keep a eye on her to make sure she expels the whole placenta. I would put her in a stall by herself and like she said offer her some molasses water and all the hay she would like.
    If you have Oxeytocen (sp), I would give her a shot of that.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Just wanted to add that I am sorry for your loss. :hug:

She may look around for her kid and cry, or she may not really care too much.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry that happened... :hug:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Have you found a kid yet?

I am also sorry about the loss. i am so bad all I was thinking of was the goat and I forgot to tell you :hug: Have you taken a temp yet?

7. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    No I haven't found a kid, but if she dropped it in the pasture yesterday before I saw she had an issue, the LGDs might have "disposed" of it, I just don't know. I know she hasn't passed any fetus or kid since I noticed the issue because she is in a kidding pen with no LGDs. I am just keeping an eye on her and giving her goodies.