The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am positive many of you have much more knowledge of dairy breeds than I do. We got this buckling in August of 2011. The farmer showed me his herd of pure white Saanen and promised this buckling was obviously pure Saanen. I will try to put these pics in chronological order. It seems he just keeps growing. I measured today and he is 39" at the shoulder. We have a very accurate, electronic pallet scale at work. He weighs 270 lbs. My question is this, do you think he is Saanen? If not what could he be crossed with to produce this size at 2 years of age. No complaints, he throws 75% does and they are big and beautiful, especially with the Kiko dams. He is a handlers dream, a big loving baby who wants nothing more than to have his ribs scratched. I'm just kind of wondering how much bigger is he going to get.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
In my researched on saanens (since I'm looking at getting a doeling) they can reach 300 lbs. so I think your guy is right on target...

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Just about any full sized dairy buck/wether can get that big with the right conditioning and care. A breeding buck will almost always be much heavier then a wethered boy as the testosterone aids in bone mass growth and possible larger muscle mass as well. Especially when they are bulking up for the rut. I dont see anything in him that would suggest a cross. His horns are a bit different then I am familiar with but horns can grow in any number of ways. But there should be another years worth of growth in him at least. It wouldnt surprise me to see him top 300 lbs.

My pack goat Legion measured 36" at the shoulder and weight taped at 185 lbs at just 16 months and he was wethered at 5 months of age. He is by far bigger then any other prospect of that year by at least 25 lbs. So although good bloodlines are a needed foundation, conditioning and care play a huge part in their growth. I attribute his growth to the dairy quality alfalfa he gets.

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are beginning our third rut and subsequent round of kids from HL. His 12 does are 3 Boer x Savanna, 2 Spanish, 2 Alpine, 2 Myotonic x Boer, 2 Kiko and 1Nubian x Boer. The kids from the meat breed does are incredibly attractive. long legs, long bodies and heavily muscled. The Saanen bone structure is huge, but the dairy breeds always look poor. When bred with these meat breed does we are getting big meaty kids. The herd was started with property clearing in mind, turned into a hobby that turned into a love affair with the animals and their animated personalities. I am surprised at how healthy and strong the goats are. They almost live the life of a truly feral herd. They have fresh water twice daily, but they eat 18 acres of browse and brush that is untouched and a 3 acre section where a TVA high voltage power line traverses the property is sown in fescue. During the 3 winter months in southeast Tennessee they get a bale of hay a day. Other than an occasional snack, they pretty much eat whatever they want. The whole experiment kind of makes me wonder about all the man made feeds and minerals we give our animals.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
He looks full Saanen to me too. At his size, I personally would only use him on mature does, I wouldn't use him on any first time does or very young does. I do know of a Nubian buck who is so large he can not be used for live breeding even on mature does, they just have him collected and AI with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts