The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much deliberation, we've acquired two goats, one of which is a freshener. We've had her for a couple of months now, and I'm noticing that one of her teats is bigger & producing more milk than the other.

Am I doing something wrong? How can I correct it? Please help!

TIA!

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
When did she kid? Were the kids weaned from her before you bought her? Was her udder uneven when you bought her?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She kidded in March-ish. Yes, the kids were weaned from her before we bought her & I noticed a slight difference in her udder then, but it seems more pronounced now. Since I'm right-handed, I've been using my right hand to milk her smaller teat, thinking it might make a difference & "strengthen" it. But I've only been doing this the last week or so...

Would it make a difference if I completely milk out one side and not so much the other? If so, which one? My thinking is this: I know mammals produce milk based on demand (the more demand, the more produced), so I wonder if I "demand" more from the smaller teat, maybe it'll step up & make more milk? Would that help even her out?

·
Super Moderator
58,877 Posts
You would want to go with more milkings per day. You could milk that side 3 or 4 times a day. Unless you want to dry her off, you don't want to milk the other side less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts