Miss Scarlett

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Sfgwife, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    92961A71-21F6-4255-BC00-CC82F064717C.jpeg CA39F5BB-FFB0-4C84-9BBF-FC9307AE228F.jpeg EAC1A06F-F328-4334-8526-48CBB1602D65.jpeg 5F48B89A-4CC6-4E09-84BE-34F87C15506B.jpeg 4B04DD13-8F8C-4C84-983D-650A879D2CA6.jpeg ED5024F3-809F-46D9-BDA9-AE87F9A5F1D3.jpeg so. Sat i was visitin a friend and he was tellin me about one of his mama cows that is just not a good mama. Said he knew she had calved and it took him three days to find the calf after walkin his pasture for hours. Mama was never around the calf, never bawled for it, if he got close she would not go to calf. Sunday he called and says that wench had twins and i had no idea! I was workin on the tractor and found a calf. All my other heavy bred cows are still in calf and she is the only possible mama because she is the only red baldie i gots. You want a five day old calf? I not sure if she will live cause she breathin hard and needs milk bad. But i am too old to bottle this calf and i do not want to shoot her cause she still got life in her. So of course bring her over. His wife says are you even gonna ask paul.... nope i will tell him you comin and he wont care (which he didn’t). I need run to the store for a nipple for my bottle cause mine is nowhere to be found doncha know. I also picked up colostrum and last stand. So here comes scarlett. Poor girl didnt even know how to suck. We got her to take a bottle and all was well. Then wed night she had a fever. Brought her to the house cause we thought she was gonna die on us. Got meds in her and syringed a cup of pedialyte in her every hour. Finally yesterday afternoon she started feelin better and perked up. By last night she was keepin her temp down without banamine. Today.... today miss scarlett is goin back to the BARN lol! She is full of sheselfs, has nibbled everything in the livin room esp toes she loves some toes lol! She also likes the recliner foot for scratchin her own noggin. And no. Paul is not nekkie in the last pic he does have on shorts. ;)

I am mixin cow milk, goat milk and replacer for her right now. Soon we will transition to replacer because my girls just do not have enough milk to feed her solely their milks. I only get a half a gallon from the cow of a mornin and jade gifts me 3/4 of a gallon a day. And right now she is drinkin almost a gallon and half a day.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

So cute! I hope she does well for you.

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.

3. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness she's adorable! How on earth did you manage a calf in your house?:dazed:

4. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Geez girl, you've gone and done it again haven't you lol ;)
    She's adorable! I'm praying she keeps doing well for you and Paul. Looks like you've gotten yourself a free heifer, congrats! :)
    What did your dog say about Paul using his bed for a pillow?

Moers kiko boars, Ashlynn and Sfgwife like this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Menoggins what a cute pipsqueeck. Welcome lil scarlet. Grow well and be blessed.

7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    She tried to die on us. So in the house she came for all the time care for a bit. She went back to the barn today lol!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

The dogs coulda cared less hahaha!thy just sniff the things and go not again and walk away. Lol! She is a free martin but that is ok too. We can still love her all the days that she is here! Did you get a new number? I sent a message and didnt hear back the other day. And thought that not like you. Everything good there?

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Yes, but what about the matter of her pooping? :poop: How did you manage that? :lolgoat:

10. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Actually it was easier than baby goats in the house. But... Poop and pee... she is only a week old. And there is not a ton of poop yet. Pee... lossa pee lol! So most of the time she needs stimulated to do those. Bit when she would get up we watched her tail... if she held it out she was ready to gooooo. Or we would rub the majikal spots to get her to go. For pee it is under her belly where her teats are and for poop the top of her tail head. The first night we just put a puppy pad behind her. The next day we brought in a two and half gallon bucket. Go on laugh but it worked lol! I laughed so hard when paul did it! But hey it did work. Paul even took the bucket up to the barn today too... said welp we gotta make her do it so might as well keep the bedding clean. Hahahhahaha!

11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    oh oh oh! Tonight after her bottle she tried kickin up her heels! Omg! It was SO SO cute! She always dances after her bottle wantin more but tonight she all about the crazies. We laughed so hard.

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Baby cows are very entertaining. Especially if they feel the love. I love the fact you gave her a chance

13. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    All good here. Sent you a message so let’s see if it works. Way to be a happy baby Missy :)

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oh what a nice heifer! Long legged little girl! Soooooo cute! You guys are AWESOME!
    Just watch for the buckets....don't trip:haha:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Sfgwife likes this.
  15. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Lol! Right after she does the necessities it gets dumped. But tonight she went to a small part of the pasture. Eep!

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Best of luck to you!
    Not every heifer twin to a bull calf is a freemartin. You may luck out and have a real girl!
    She sure is cute!

17. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Miss scarlett is doin GREAT! The last pic was... are you comin to feed me peasant.

0F6AD439-C0AD-4101-99D4-77E62FDA39A2.jpeg CE58917D-AB35-4F19-8077-D9D7030A809F.jpeg

18. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member