The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have three dairy goat kids, only 8 months old that got attacked by a bear last Thursday. Our girl Abby mostly had claw marks on her face and one under her front armpit. The one boy, Lenny has two pretty bad wounds on his back legs and a gimpy front leg. Poor Chucky baby had a wound about three inches deep on is hindquarter and a matching wound not so deep on the other side. We had found them after hearing who I believe was Abby crying for us to help chuck who was unable to stand. It was 3:30 am and was like living a nightmare. We went to run outside but found Lenny standing at the top of the landing outside the door. How he got up there was beyond belief, there was a trail of blood and the others were found in the high tensil fenced in pen that stands 5-6 foot tall. I am told bears cant get through these fences, I am also told they would not go after livestock and were just after their food. Their food is not stored in the shed with them it's in another shed. I guess they were wrong. We got all of them out in the light to clean their wounds and had the vet come over asap, chucky got stitched up and all three of them got abx and pain shots as needed. The vet said Chucky would take a while to heal especially his one wound, but he seemed to think he would make a full recovery. All three of them were swollen and had small puncture wounds all over and hardly moved for the rest of the day, especially Chuck. The vet had noticed chucky had a rice crispy feel and sound to his midsection but said it was due to the trauma and would go away on it's own. Abby and Lenny were up and moving around by the next day, hurting but still trying, and looked a bit spunky. Chuck had drank some electrolyts and was eating a bite of hay and food here and there. By the second day he looked a bit better, and he even tried getting up a few times but couldn't get the front legs to cooperate. We kept giving him his pain meds as prescribed and also their abx shots. By sunday at 3:30am we heard Chucky screaming, we went out and he was laying on his side with his head down flat, we stayed with him for a while till he calmed down. We heard it get quiet and thought oh good he finally fell asleep and is getting some rest. We went out around 7 to give them their breakfast and found Chucky in the same position he was in when we left, he didn't make it. We think it was a punctured lung probably from some broken ribs, because when we picked him up you could smell the blood in his breath. Abby and Lenny have been looking for him for the past couple of days, and we are trying to spend as much time as possible with them to keep them from getting stressed and lonely. We are all devastated with the loss of such a great boy so soon. He was buried in a bed of pine with his favorite apples and a towel to keep him warm. We are going to plant an apple tree in his memory and my mom is painting a rock with his name. It has been almost a week since that awful bear attack and we are still treating the wounds on the other two, but it seems so lonely without my Chucky baby. I have to think of him as up in goat heaven sitting on his rock in the sun, munching on his pine, and apples. We are thinking of getting more kids in the spring so Abby and Lenny have someone to play with. There is no replacing Chucky, he was so debonair and had that happy trot with that bouncing belly of his. He will always be close to my heart and a daily reminder of how precious life is.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This is so sad. I am sorry for your loss. Hope the other two do much better in the near future.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry for your loss! In Colorado mountain we have many creatures that would love to have a snack on our goats. We put 5 strands of hot wire around our pens. The tallest is at 5.5 feet. I found the hottest fence controller I could find. I been shocked by it several times & if you done have rubber soled boots the insulates you from the ground its very unpleasant experience. The last two falls we have had several bears in the area with no loses of our goats. Again sorry about your little ones!

·
Registered
31,055 Posts
awe Imso so sorry :(

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
How horrible ! Im so sorry about Chucky :(
Its best to remember him during better times. :hug:
Rest In Peace Chucky :angel:

·
Registered
637 Posts
That sounds so very terrible poor little Chucky.....
We are in the process of readying our goat pen it will be bigger (1400 ft or so ) and has a horse shed in it we are fixing up-- but its at the very back of our property along the tree line and our back neighbor (very wooded ) has bears eating his apple trees... this makes me very nervous (we do have 300lbs of barky dogs as a deterrent).....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts