The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold two babies on Wednesday- A buck and a doe. They are 11 weeks old tomorrow. I got an email from the woman I sold them to saying that they had dissappeared when she got home from work. She has a four foot electric mesh fence which wasn't broken and the gate was latched when she got home. She concluded that either they were stolen or got out and ran away. They went missing yesterday evening so soon it will be two nights that they have been missing. My biggest fear is coyotes at this point if they had gotten loose. She suggested taking the mother up to her home and having her cry & possibly call for them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
730 Posts
I wouldn't take mother anywhere around her place if you want to keep her. Those goats were DEFINATLY stolen! My goats have gotten out several times by un-latching, and opening their gate. >> But...NOT ONCE HAVE THEY BOTHERED TO LATCH IT BACK! ...lol...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Personally I would probably load up my doe and go over there with her for a few hours just to see if they come out of the woodwork.

I wouldn't leave my doe there without me, obviously, but if I were able to do so, I think i would take her over and walk around a bit. I've talked to a couple people who had sold kids and they slipped out one way or another and taking the mom around lured them out.

·
730 Posts
Personally I would probably load up my doe and go over there with her for a few hours just to see if they come out of the woodwork.

I wouldn't leave my doe there without me, obviously, but if I were able to do so, I think i would take her over and walk around a bit. I've talked to a couple people who had sold kids and they slipped out one way or another and taking the mom around lured them out.
I would do the same thing im sure if I were faced with this situation.. But...the gate being latched back after they vanished? Not unless its one of the latches that could latch itself would I drag momma out there to search..I don't mean to sound negative...but id bet anything those goats didn't latch the gate back by themselves...
Prayers sent that they are found ASAP!

·
730 Posts
I guess the goats could've jumped the fence..anythings possible...I know from experience that those little buggers can jump way higher than imagined! but still...electric mesh fence...???...I would think they would've touched the fence before attempting to jump it in one way or the other resulting in being shocked.. Most goats ive seen want ZERO to do with electric fence after getting zapped! Mine wont go near the fence period...If they were jumpers..>> sure..id take the doe out there (if possible) for a few hours accompanied by me..

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Mine touch electric and jump forward and go right through it. lol. I have one who will lean on the fence and scream every time it zaps her but will just keep pushing until she knocks it down if she rally wants out. *rolls eyes* she is such a snot.

My Nubian doeling managed to squeeze out between the gate and the ground and there was only a three inch space there. I never would have believed it myself if I had not seen it with my own eyes. We have been having some goat thefts around here lately come across on the police scanner, so a latched gate and missing goats would definitely make me think stolen not escaped, but I would still take mama out there just in case especially after watching Pepper get her big old noggin out of that stall under that low gate.

·
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all of the responses,

I wasn't planning on leaving her over there if I went over there. I was thinking about doing as WarPony suggested.I feel like it is possible, but not likely that they jumped the 4 foot fence. That is the only way they could have gotten out I would believe.

On the other hand it is possible for them to have been stolen since the owners were away from their home 9:30 to 5:30 and they didn't find any droppings around the yard or woods etc.

·
8,365 Posts
Start posting pictures and lost posters all over, call the local paper, radio, etc. Even the local tv stations.
Good luck to the goaties!

·
1,524 Posts
4 foot fence? Oh, yeah a kid could do that. Last year one of my 4 week olds jump out of the 5 foot stall!

Most thieves wouldn't bother shutting the gate behind them either. They grab and run.

Many years ago I had a 6 week old doe kid go missing. She had been in the goat barn (a converted farm garage) when I tucked them in the night before, but was not there that next morning. We all looked for the little white goat but didn't find her. We had a spell of nasty, wet weather with no sign of her so I figured she had been stolen. (though why her and not one of the others?)

4 days later we were sitting down to lunch on the first nice day. My seat looked out the window towards the goat barn. I saw a flash of movement. Looked closer and saw white. I ran over and there was Amy, dirty, skinny and starved to death!!!! She had somehow gotten out of the barn and hid under it while it was rainy and nasty! One of my sons found a small hidy-hole where she had spent her time, cause it was full of little goat poos!

·
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, they actually have been found! :leap:

The owners hung up posters around their town and they got a call saying this person knew who had them. I guess she had seen them or something. The owners got the address and went and picked them up. The babies were in a chicken coop w/ no food & no water and they were over a mile away from their leaving point. We're not sure if they had gotten stolen or the babies traveled a mile and these people just popped them in their chicken coop.
Now they are home with their new owners safe & sound. Thanks for everyone's concern and ideas. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts