The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago we purchased a 3 year old male GP. It was on Saturday 11/30. Exactly one week later he got out of the goat pen and took off. I do not know how he got out, our other GP that is about 30 # lighter than him can not get out, but none the less he did. He is a true LGD and not at all socialized with people. I only touched him once and that was when we were putting him in the pen. He was in no way aggressive but very shy of people. I have ads all over facebook and craigslist about him being missing but we have heard nothing since the Monday after he left. I don't want to give up on him but it is really breaking my heart to keep up worrying about him. I have had a belly ache since learning he was gone last Saturday morning (I had to work very early so husband did the chores). How long can they go on their own without food or water (except what he may hunt up)? It has been very cold here and not thawing temp for about a week (the day before he took off was the first day it really turned cold). We are thinking he may have been in pursuit of a coyote or fox and lost his way, or maybe just decided to go back home. Who knows? I am so sad that I let this guy down (and also his former owners- they sold off their goats and he was upset without them- but evidently more sad to leave his territory). Thoughts?:shrug:

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
AWWWW, I am so sorry he is gone.

I am sorry I do not know how long I guess it depends on him.

i hope someone did not see him in with their livestock and think he was going to hurt them.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I wouldn't give up :) We had a barn cat take off and get lost in the woods, and we didn't see him for 2 or three weeks and he finally showed up. :) Also, wolves survive in the winter, they lick ice and hunt what they can find. Of course, they loose weight, but they do it. I wouldn't be surprised if your LGD can hunt. I don't have much advice but I will pray he shows up! How sad :(

·
Registered
764 Posts
I can't offer you much in regard to how long you should keep your hope up - I found that you never really forget the lost ones - but years ago we had a rescue dog gone missing: dalmatian, tame but with experience about living on the streets and he was missing for one week in the middle of November. When he was finally found - a train ran him over - he was in excellent condition. So he must have found enough to eat and water, maybe raiding carbage cans, digging for mice, whatever.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have told the shelter, the sheriff in two counties, the bus drivers, the rural mail man, the ups man and about 3/4 of the high school kids I know to be on the lookout. We don't have a vet within 40 miles of the direction he is headed. I have driven for hours and hours looking for him. He was seen by two people heading back the direction he came from but it is a 3 hour car drive so I don't think he could actually find his way all they way back.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
He might. You will be surprised. I sure hope he finds his way home.

·
Super Moderator
59,901 Posts
I have told the shelter, the sheriff in two counties, the bus drivers, the rural mail man, the ups man and about 3/4 of the high school kids I know to be on the lookout. We don't have a vet within 40 miles of the direction he is headed. I have driven for hours and hours looking for him. He was seen by two people heading back the direction he came from but it is a 3 hour car drive so I don't think he could actually find his way all they way back.
Actually, yes he could. Dogs have found their way home longer distances than that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes we have been in contact since Tuesday (his 4th day missing) she is just as upset and said if he does end up getting back there she will never make him leave again and will send my money back (it's not about the money to either of us). I just really hope that he gets somewhere and I don't have to worry about him for the next 10 years

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have heard many times of a working dog being lost or running off and being found and taken in because they are so sought after. I had a ACD get lost, he was found and 'stolen' by a local farm. They had thrown his collar away (I assume) and he wasn't chipped so I had no proof of ownership. Never got him back. This recently happened to a friend of mine aswell.
Even being shy around people there's a chance someone found and is keeping him. Drive by any nearby places that keep livestock. He might be in with another herd or tied up somewhere.
I found my missing dog tied to a barn...

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
I hate to throw a monkey wrench into all this but he may have been stolen. I had a GS stolen that I finally got back almost two years later. It was amazing where she ended up and how I managed to find her.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hate to throw a monkey wrench into all this but he may have been stolen. I had a GS stolen that I finally got back almost two years later. It was amazing where she ended up and how I managed to find her.
He was seen along the highway 6 miles east of here on the Monday after he went missing. I was not told about it until Tuesday morning and went immediately out and talked to everyone that lives in the are and nobody has seen him since. There is a farm with sheep (although he has never been with sheep, only goats and calves, not sure if that would matter to them though) within a mile of where he was seen, but I talked to them and they said they had not seen him.
So either they have not seen him and he is out with one of their herds, or they shot him thinking he was a predator, or he is there and they don't want him to leave OR he moved on. It seems to be the not knowing that always makes me the craziest. The owner of the sheep is not someone that I get along with very well, he has a lot of self serving ideas (our teen age daughters went to school together until he optioned his daughter out right before her senior year because the neighboring school has a better ball team). ANYHOW it is not someone that is going to let me just go poke around his place.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The thing is I just don't know how many more days I can devote all my mornings to driving around searching. I am not even sure of the direction he went after 5 pm Monday. I have been glued to my cell phone and this computer almost every other minute waiting and hoping for someone to tell me they have seen him again.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
well likely you won't find him driving around searching. I know how you feel I rode my horse all over out property looking for my dogs body and when I did not find her I started calling the humane societies and vets, and pet stores looking for her and putting up notices. I was sure she had been stolen. I was right but I didn't find her til almost two years later and that was really by chance.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.