The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a couple month ago. It just swooped down about 10 of 15 yards from me while I was feeding and killed my favorite hen and just sat on top of her looking at me. When I got back with the gun it flew away and left the hen.

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
It used to be that any raptor was protected. I would definitely check game and fish in your state to be sure of regulations before I acted.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Jul 3, 2007 - They are not endangered...but they are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and you will be breaking the law if you remove or disturb this nest ...

I found this when I looked it up ^^^

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts

·
8,972 Posts
The 3 S's - shoot, shovel and shut up! Most birds of prey are protected.
I lost a number of pullets to hawks, finally I put that deer mesh over my chicken yard. A few times
of the hawks trying to get the chickens and hitting the mesh pretty much deters them. If the flock is out wandering and they see a hawk,
they make a beeline to their yard.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
4,911 Posts
Do you have a rooster?
A hawk swooped at one of our chickens the other day. My sister was right there, but didn't see the whole thing. The hawk didn't get the chicken; I suspect it's either because my sister was right there or because the rooster chased it off!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.