The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A hawk took one of my barred rock pullets today. I am within my rights to rid my farm of this predator, right?

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
I'm not sure. If it is on the endangered list, you aren't. If you know what type of hawk it is, I would look it up and see.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a couple month ago. It just swooped down about 10 of 15 yards from me while I was feeding and killed my favorite hen and just sat on top of her looking at me. When I got back with the gun it flew away and left the hen.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
It just swooped down about 10 of 15 yards from me while I was feeding and killed my favorite hen and just sat on top of her looking at me.
We need a picture on a red-tailed hawk that says: I don't always kill hens, but when I do, it's everyone's favorite.

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
It used to be that any raptor was protected. I would definitely check game and fish in your state to be sure of regulations before I acted.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Jul 3, 2007 - They are not endangered...but they are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, and you will be breaking the law if you remove or disturb this nest ...

I found this when I looked it up ^^^

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I caught this buzzard standing on one of my older Rhode Island Red hens. If he was endangered, he is now extinct. The rifle in the picture is 42" long.

Attachments

·
8,157 Posts
The 3 S's - shoot, shovel and shut up! Most birds of prey are protected.
I lost a number of pullets to hawks, finally I put that deer mesh over my chicken yard. A few times
of the hawks trying to get the chickens and hitting the mesh pretty much deters them. If the flock is out wandering and they see a hawk,
they make a beeline to their yard.

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Do you have a rooster?
A hawk swooped at one of our chickens the other day. My sister was right there, but didn't see the whole thing. The hawk didn't get the chicken; I suspect it's either because my sister was right there or because the rooster chased it off!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts