The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find it very difficult to buy from someone who doesn't know the correct spelling or pronunciation of the "purebred animals" they are selling. A few of my favorites.............
Boar, Bore, Kinko, Susannah, Nigerian Pigmy, African Dwarf, Sonen, and Spainish. Please add your favs. Lol!

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, until you call them and they say "I been raising purebred kinks for 10 years now". I usually ask them if they sell office supplies.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
:laugh: Boar is by far my favorite misspelling, it's like, "Oh, you're trying to sell me a pure bred pig-goat?" :roll: :ROFL:
Most people in our area spell it 'Boer' but pronounce it 'Boar'. I pronounce it as a mix of the two :p

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Saneen, Sanaan, :eyeroll:

LOTS of Nigerian drwaf goats, African dwarfs, and such.

Loads of "boars", or "bores". I think people are just too lazy to spell it right!

Oh, and drives me crazy that so many ads around here advertise "nannies" and "billies" and "withers" or "weathers". :roll:

·
4-H Secretary for Life ^.^
985 Posts
By far, my fave has to be an ad I saw on craigslist for Togenburger goats. I agree, Texaslass. I hate sentences using nanny and billy!

·
1,524 Posts
Oberhawse
Saanaan
Nibien
Nubian Dwarf
Nubian pygmy
Pygmy dwarf
Dwarf pygmy
Dwarf Nigerian goat

to name a few. It's amazing how someone can not bother to learn what breed of goat they have and/or how to spell it!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I read in a book where a lady at a goat show had Toggenburgs, and called them Toboggenbirds!! And she was serious!! :eek: (Storey's guide to raising dairy goats)

·
RussellP
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We have a weekly paper in southeast Tennessee called the Tennessee Trader, last weeks edition had two toggenburger nannies, I guess those are obviously a meat breed. In the pet section was a spotted Dalmation for sale. We look forward to reading it every week to see how people butcher the ads.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've seen lamancha spelled as Lumucha 2 times on the craigslist.:D
it drives me nuts when they misspell it cuz it makes it hard to find add.:GAAH:

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oberhualsli
Oberhausli
Oberhalsli
Saunen
Toggenberg
Pygme
Pygmee
Pygmie
Nigerien Dwarf

But my favorites is when they have purebreads, bread does, bread nannies, boar goats, registered boar nannies, bred boars, registered oberhauslis, etc

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
This is not a name problem, but when folks advertise a Nubian who was pygmy...!! and this person was a breeder! so he said.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I read in a book where a lady at a goat show had Toggenburgs, and called them Toboggenbirds!! And she was serious!! :eek: (Storey's guide to raising dairy goats)
Haha I read that book, I remember reading that!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here where i live i jus look over it caz pll jus are so dumb founded i love it when they say what kind of sheep are them there or wow a mountain goats.

one way hillbilly acres

1 - 20 of 54 Posts