The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had given 3 goats a dose of ivermectin 10 days ago. (Due to BP in a fecals) Each one weighed Apx 75-80 pounds so I gave all equally. This past Sunday I was supposed to give the tenth day dose (2nd) and with what all was going on I forgot to give 2nd dose. So Monday when I got off work, I ran out and drew the medicine and took off to pens. I gave the medicine and finished up in pens and headed home. After a shower and dinner I sat down to post to my info on goats 2nd dose by name. That is when it hit me, I had switched wormers and this time I gave Cydectin instead of ivermectin. Do you think I’m ok with it and just wait ten more days-and give the last dose of ivermectin? I would have posted this earlier but I could not get on the site until tonight after 9:00pm for maintenance work on the site. What would you do? I should have given it Sunday, waited until Monday, gave the wrong medicine, and now it would be Wednesday evening at best if I gave ivermectin which would be 3 days late. I hope all this makes sense.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
I wouldn't worry, but did you give the correct dose of Cydectin based on weight?

There is no science to tell us if re-dosing at ten days is best, or 11, 12, 13... Just experience and a rough knowledge of worm & egg cycles. While you may have slightly contributed to the worm resistance to ivermectin by switching chemicals, I really wouldn't worry and I would not dose anything if FAMACHA, fecal, weight gain, or poops are good the next few weeks.

·
TKC Farms
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't worry, but did you give the correct dose of Cydectin based on weight?

There is no science to tell us if re-dosing at ten days is best, or 11, 12, 13... Just experience and a rough knowledge of worm & egg cycles. While you may have slightly contributed to the worm resistance to ivermectin by switching chemicals, I really wouldn't worry and I would not dose anything if FAMACHA, fecal, weight gain, or poops are good the next few weeks.
In other words, (if I’m upstanding correctly) if they are looking better, then don’t do the last dose in ten days?

·
TKC Farms
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I typically just do two doses when deworming
They are looking better and popping pellets. The famacha score is slightly better. I’m giving redcell now about twice a week. The first week I gave every day 15 ml a dose.

Reactions: SalteyLove
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.