Misty kidded - kid is dead, Misty needs help

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by StaceyRosado, May 12, 2008.

1. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Ok I talked to tob1 and I so appreciated that!!! But I just want to make sure we arent missing anything

Misty was in labor I assume for a while. I overslept and she had a head adn hooves out but the kid was already dead.

She delivered teh afterbirth adn I bumpted her and I dont feel anything more.

Kid is rather large and Misty is a pygmy

Now my concern really is on Misty I hate to loose the kid but that is over and done with. I grieved with her and told her I was so so so sorry but coulda shoulda woulda and if onlys are not going to help now.

What we have done so far

temp 101.9
    gave Karo syrup mixed with coffee - 10ccs
    Selenium E Gel - 5 ccs

Sweet Pea came into where she is at (which is flooding by the way :GAAH: ) and I am hoping that since they are buddies this will help her.

I am going to give her some CMPK gel too

Attached Files:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, her temp looks fine and as long as she cleaned out there should be no problems, the fact that it was a single and big caused her distress, what you have done so far is fine. Make sure she stays dry and warm and give her some warm mollasses water if you haven't already. Let her rest and put some hay in front of her, assuming you didn't need to go into her she should be fine. So very sorry you lost the kid, I'm sure Misty will be searching for him and that will be sad for awhile, she'll recover with some rest :love: :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she isnt' searching for him. But I did put it back in with her so she could know it was dead, she licked it for a little bit then went back to standing like that.

She isnt' eating anything and I dont have mollasses But I will bring out some warm water, mine don't usually like molasses anyway :shrug:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Does she seem to be in pain at all? Maybe even softly crying or pushing a bit? You've done for her what you can, let her rest awhile and see if she is any better in a few hours...she has gone thru quite an ordeal and without a new baby to keep her alert and moving she will be depressed looking to you, let what you have given her already have a chance to work and then give her some Nutri Drench in an hour or so. :hug:

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Stacey,

I am so sorry to hear about Misty and her kid. You did what you could and I know that she loves you for that. I would watch her, but she should be fine. :hug:

Maybe she would adopt Kitten since she will have the milk?? That way the other is not trying to feed quads?? Just a thought.

Take care and we are here for you.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    :hug: :hug: :hug:

I am so sorry Stacey! Don't blame yourself. These things just happen. :tears:

Keep an eye on her, she may not feel like eating for a little while. When my girl Dawn aborted trip boys she was off for a little while. I let her clean each one to see that they were gone and I think that helped a lot. I cried off and on the whole day (worst part being it was my b-day). You and Misty will get over this. Just sit with her and love on her for a while. :hug:

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Oh Stacey- I'm so sorry- you and Misty must both be exhausted. The only thing I can think of is to check her temperature periodically.

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thanks guys. I will take her temp again and give her the nutri drench. How much do you think she needs?

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I give my girls 15 ccs. You could also try giving her some oatmeal and raisins mixed with a little brown sugar. My girls love it.

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok

how long after kidding do their ligaments firm up?

( am still slightly worried about another kid)

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I give mine 3-4 squirts(approx12-13cc)...she'll probably not want to be messed with though so you may be better off to get those squirts into a larger syringe and give it at one time...(I save the syringes that safeguard comes in for this purpose). Are you up to trying kitten on her? just use the towel her baby was on....it might work and it may perk her up to have a little one to take care of.

If she delivered the afterbirth and she isn't pushing and you felt nothing after bumping her, this was likely her only kid. Only way to really be sure was to go in and feel, but it's been too long after the stillbirth to attempt that. Feel her belly again, if it's loose and empty feeling..squishy and you don't feel movement or a "kid like" lump, I'd say she's empty.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I found a vet! I can call and he will come out too. So that makes me a bit more relieved just in case she doesnt' improve here by tomorrow.

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    You know a little warm oatmeal does sound like a good idea. Comfort food for goaties.
    I hope she picks up before tomorrow. I don't know how you pygmy people do it. I remember when sure that Tim was through last year, I could reach right in but with those little one's????

14. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sorry to hear about Misty's kid, I :pray: Misty starts feeling better soon

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh and if you don't have raisins you could add some banana pieces instead.

:grouphug:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is walking around some adn wanted back in with the herd. So she is in the big part of the shelter and back ot just standing there
    but if that makes her happy she can stay there.

Off to trie to entice her to eat

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no raisins or bannanas in the house :shrug: so I just brought out more warm water which she drank some and ate a little more of her feed.

I also gave her fastrack jumpstart gel earlier

then gave her 10ccs of coffee Karo mix and then 10ccs of nutri drench

she is back in her little shelter in which i put more hay to keep her off the water and I shut her in as she was getting chilled I think.

Need take her temp again.

18. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    She may just be hurting a bit. Is she a FF? I would say just rest. She maybe also a little bit depressed after losing the kid. I bet if you try to graft Kitten on her, she will cheer up a bit.

Keep trying and dont panic.

Much love! :hug:
    CJ

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Already tried kitten didn't work seh bit her twice

no she is not a FF this is her second freshioning

20. cjpup

cjpup Guest

Dec 1, 2007
    Well! lol....not they way I thought that would go!

CJ