Mite control...new kids in barn too...

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Minky, May 30, 2020.

1. Minky

Minky Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I have a 2 yr old wether that I discovered crusty scabby legs on in March. I treated with Boss pour-on and then painted his legs with some sulphur dip from the vet. Smelled a bit like eggs..
    Seemed to work and in a week or so he was happy again, lost the hair on his back legs but other than that seemed good. Then in April I saw he was biting his front legs. Inspected him again, treated with both again, and now he is good.

BUT... now I am seeing the kids (I have 9 that are all under 1 month) scratching... and biting their legs. And a couple fo the moms. even though the effected wether is not allowed in barn, they all share a pasture...

How shall I treat the kids? moms? Can I use the milk (I drink it to get immunity from poison ivy) can I still eat cheese made from it?

Will these damn things ever go away??

I have more boss pour on and more sulphur dip... just not sure if its safe on littles and on milking moms..

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The sulfur dip would be fine. I have never used Boss pour on.

CountyLineAcres likes this.

3. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    Boss does not treat mites. We mix Vaseline and NuStock and use it to treat topically.

Anything sulfur based would be beneficial.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Im.wondering if you dont have lice and not mites on mom and kids..? Look close for little grayish bugs next to skin. Also coat will turn coarse or cotton like when infestation is heavy.

We choose Cylence 1 cc per 25 pounds down the top line boostwe in 10 days to 3 weeks.
    Safe for babies and moms. I don't believe there is a milk withdraw on Cylence..ill have to check

5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I used VetRx on an itchy kid. He didn’t have scabs but scratched a lot. It helped and is safe (all natural).

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I use Ivomec pour on the blue liquid one.
    1 cc per 20 lbs along the topline.
    Works for lice and mites.

If they are really bad, give Ivomec injectable SQ 1 cc per 40 lbs.

Nu-stock on the really bad area's, after you remove all scabs.

7. MadHouse

Minky was asking for kids and mom that they are milking.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not sure what you are saying?

9. MadHouse

It looked like you gave advice for mite control for adult goats. OPwas wondering what to do about kids under 1 month. Would you treat kids with ivomec pour on or injectable?

10. Minky

Minky Member

Aug 12, 2018
  11. Minky

Minky Member

Aug 12, 2018
    If boss pour on does not treat mites why would my vet have prescribed it?

12. Minky

Minky Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I have an ADULT goat who has mites. He stays outside the barn but now I am seeing the kids and moms also scratching a bit here and there and nibbling at their ankles. I want to know if the boss pour on will be ok to use? We dont have lice. I am milking the does and want something that has no withdrawal period if possible.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Ultra boss doesn't kill mites.

Ivomec pour on kills mites and lice.
    For 1 month old kids, use the pouron.

14. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes I'm aware of that..i was suggesting that perhaps lice is what you are dealing with and not mites. I suggested a closer look due to the goats itching and biting at their legs.

Best wishes

15. Minky

Minky Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I'm not sure...Do lice make scabs all over their legs and make the hair fall off when you rub it? I described to my vet and with photos and she said mites. I have no seen any lice.

How are mites supposed to effect goats? dont mites make them scratch and chew on themselves?

16. MadHouse

What you describe mine had too. It’s mites. When it’s bad they scratch and chew like crazy.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes, mites cause scabbing, around the lower legs, belly, scrotum, udder area's.
    And sometimes other area's, such as ears.

MadHouse likes this.